Menu
cofritz
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

intermittent wireless connection in much of the house

Our contract started a year ago in our new house, but only recently have we been able to spend much time there. At installation the installer assured us that the Hub (Superfibre 50, Virgin Media Hub 3.0) would provide reliable wifi to the entire house and much of the back garden.  At first - with very sporadic use - it seemed like it might have been okay, but now that we are needing to rely on it, we find that we have to stay near the hub to get a reliable signal. What, if anything, can we do to get a reliable signal?

Any ideas would be very welcome!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: intermittent wireless connection in much of the house

No one can guarentee a reliable wireless connection, wireless is unreliable by nature as it affected by many factors like Range, Client hardware, the Topograpy of your home, and the big killer, Wireless interference.

First of all, I would ensure the Hub is placed in a central, open position, away from obstacles and electrical devices.

You could try changing the wireless channel manually. Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.
Bear in mind that the wifi scanner will not show interference from other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

Using the wider, usually less congested 5Ghz band could help, if your client devices support it.

The Hubs are basic entry level devices, a decent third party router with the hub in modem mode would provide a better overall wireless coverage.

The best way to get reliability is to use ethernet cable.

You can extend your wireless network to hard to reach places using powerline adapters

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: intermittent wireless connection in much of the house

Hi cofritz,

Sorry for your recent wireless issues.
I have a couple of links to our help pages which should provide some assistance:

Optimising your Hub's wireless signal

Changing your Hub's wireless channel

In addition to that I would recommend that you separate your wireless frequencies by naming them differently - on Hub 3 they are, by default, set with the same SSID.

• Advanced Settings
  • Wireless
  • Security
  • Change the WiFi Network Name (SSID) for both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies
  • Click on Apply Changes

In addition to the above I would like to arrange for an engineer to reduce your Hub's  high downstream power levels. Please reply to my PM (purple envelope icon, top right of page) and I'll book an appointment for you.

Thanks Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos