cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi pods

CCTV
On our wavelength

I’m new to Wi-Fi pods. I now have three but all of them say their connection is just fair. One is the room above the router, other two are in the room next to the router so can’t really get them much closer. 
the Wi-Fi connect app suggests “ refreshing “ the Wi-Fi to improve this, but when I hit that button I just get an “ oops there’s been a problem- try again or ask support “

try again didn’t work….. so here I am. Connection is ok in other rooms but a bit disappointing- I get 560 Mbps in room with router but only about 50 next door with a pod in that room ( and in the adjoining wall too- could not get closer without being in the same room!). 
any suggestions? 

5 REPLIES 5

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey CCTV, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear this, the pods are suppose to help boost the signal not really the speed.

So you can use the connection all around the house is a good thing.

I would read up on our WIFI tips  and our WIFI guarantee here Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

CCTV
On our wavelength

thanks Matt. I know they don’t boost the speed but didn’t expect a 90% drop either. I still don’t understand why the app asks me to refresh the Wi-Fi but when I tap the button to do that it tells me there’s a problem and to seek support? 

I have taken a look and I can't see any major issue, it could be a glitch with the app.

Every room will be different there are so many things that can influence a WiFi connection some of which include but are not limited to, a fish tank being in the same room, walls being built with concrete instead of brick, it could even be that your next door neighbours router is interfering with yours. Due to this, we are only able to offer limited help. Please have a look here: https://virg.in/wifisos

The Hub's location could also be causing the coverage problem so we do need to check the positioning of it. Can you please ensure the following:

> Out in the open

> Next to the TV not behind it

> Away from large bodies of water (e.g. fish tanks)

> Away from baby monitors and cordless phones

> Away from microwaves

Think of the Hub as a radio, and WiFi as the sound - the further away you are from the radio, or the more obstacles that are in the way (walls, electronic devices etc.), the quieter the radio & the poorer the WiFi.

The speeds you get at home will, of course, depend on a variety of factors, it depends on your package, what and how many devices you have, how they are connected amongst other things. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

CCTV
On our wavelength

Hi Matt. I understand all that. I get 560 mbps wireless in same room as router. 3 feet and one brick wall away I get 50. The router was checked by one of Virgin engineers about 4 weeks ago and is exactly where he put it. So I presume your engineer would place it correctly. We don’t keep fish, there’s no microwave between router and pod ( or anything else) and we are on the 500 mbps contract. 
Il try the app again tonight 

a Brick wall can cause a massive difference, as long as you are getting over 2OMBS in every room this means it is covered by the WIFI guarantee.

With WIFI its impossible for us to guarantee you the same speed in every single room at the same time. 

I have double checked everything and I can't see any issue. Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?