Menu
Zuber0
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

VirginMedia HUB2 spare

Hi,

Ive recently been upgraded to SuperHUB3 for broadband/wifi and I also still have the older model SuperHUB2.  Question is: how do I setup the old HUB2 so that it acts as a router-extender for weak wifi signals to the other end of the house?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
sja
Dialled in
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: VirginMedia HUB2 spare

I have done this with a hub1 together with a hub3, but not a hub2... so I don't know if this will work for you because some of the options I used on the hub1 may not be available on the hub2... but you can give it a try:

This is not officially supported or recomended.

I recently upgraded to a Superhub 3 (from a superhub 1) - they did not want the old superhub 1 to be sent back so it's basically scrap,  if your old superhub is a 2 or a 2ac they might well want it back, but can't comment on that as I never had one.

1. while still connected only to the old hub, change the LAN IP address to a different address, I would suggest 192.168.0.2 (The default is 192.168.0.1). You should also disable the firewall and disable the DHCP and disable the NAT routing, as all of this functionality will be handled by your new hub acting as the gateway.

2. disconnect from old hub and then connect to the new hub and make sure the DHCP address range does not include 192.168.0.2 as this is the fixed IP address that you have just given your old hub.... I personally have a DHCP range that starts from 192.168.0.10 which means IP numbers 2 to 9 are effectively reserved for non-DHCP fixed IP addresses (I think this may even be the default behaviour on the hub3)

3. then simply connect the two hubs together with an ethernet cable to any of the ports on both hubs (they will need to be connected with an ethernet cable, it won't work as a wifi-relay, only an access point from an ethernet connection).

4. the old hub (now only acting as a wifi access point) should automatically find a route to your gateway... I'm not sure if it makes a difference but I would make sure you always turn on the power to the main gateway hub first and the old hub last, because it may not find the route to the gateway if your new hub is not already fully up and running. n.b. this is the only iffy bit of the config because you can't manually set the gateway address of the superhub because it would normally assume that the gateway is itself.... but it does seem to work somehow. - You should now be able to configure both hubs separately by connecting to either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.2 - if you use the same SSID and password for both superhubs then your devices will connect to whichever one has the strongest signal.

bfn.

S.

0 Kudos