Menu
davetaylor1972
Tuning in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Very Weird Wireless / IP Address Problem AND SOLUTION

I need someone technical to help with this. No I don't... I solved it.

I have a Super Hub 2. It broadcasts 2 SSID's. One on the 5G channel. One on the 2G channel.

As we know the Super Hub's give out an IP Address from DHCP of 192.168.0.x and the default gateway is 192.168.0.1

Seemingly randomly I'm connecting devices wirelessly and getting an IP address off 192.168.1.x The default gateway is set to 192.168.1.254

If I visit 192.168.1.254 I get a BT Home Hub log in.

So instantly I think... someone is broadcasting on a BT Home Hub with the same SSID and (must be) same password. This can't be possible. I change the name of my SSIDs to confirm this. I also have an app which shows all live wireless signals in the area. I confirm no one else is broadcasting.

I try phoning the support desk but first person cut me off, second person wasn't technical and tried to pass me to 2nd line support. I got a recorded message saying, "We're shut" and got cut off.

I'm in the process of writing this message when my wife does a Google Search and finds a solution. 

We have some Netgear Powerline AV500 adapters. I suspect my next door neighbour has recently bought some similar Netgear Powerline adapters. Essentially, these adapters have a "key" to secure them but it's a default key across the entire range. Therefore I think the Powerline's created a link between our networks and confused everything.

To solve this I had to download the Netgear Powerline software from the Netgear site and plug into each adapter and manually change the key. Once I did that, everything worked fine.

Hopefully, if you get this problem this solution will help you. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very Weird Wireless / IP Address Problem AND SOLUTION

Hey davetaylor1972,

Thanks for posting your resolution, I'm sure your advice will come in handy for other members.

Please feel free to stick around and get involved in some of our other conversations.

Catch you again soon,

Take care.  

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos