Menu
Adriatica
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 3 won't do gigabit connection on longer Ethernet cables

Hi,

Our house is fully patched in with cat 5e network cables. When I initially set everything up, I had to use another wireless router connected to the superhub (for various reasons, including the superhub 3 didn't used to work with Chromecast 1s - it does now). Everything worked as expected and I could get decent speeds)

I now need to move that router to somewhere else on the house. This has presented a new problem - the superhub won't connect above 10Mbps (megabits) on the same cable run. I've got 3 x 20 meter cables pulled back from a gigabit switch to the same spot in the office and they all behave the same with the superhub, however I can clock a sustained 90MBps+ (megabytes - I.e. near maximum theoretical speed for gigabit Ethernet) using any of the same cables with my home server and desktop or laptop.

The only solution I have at the moment is to stick another cheap old gigabit switch in-between the superhub and wallplate. This shouldn't be necessary though - it's another device I have to run that draws power.

So, the question: is there a known problem with the chipset in the device when used with longer cable runs? Are they bad at handling potential noise or interference, or do I have a faulty one? I'm confident my cabling is OK, otherwise I'd see issues with latency or bandwidth!

Thanks,

Nick
0 Kudos
wonkotsane
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 3 won't do gigabit connection on longer Ethernet cables

Presumably you've tried all the ports on the Superhub? Have you Wiresharked it to see what's going on? What's the MTU set at on your Superhub? Is it the same as your own switch that's working at 1Gb?
Massage an ego, click the kudos button. If someone answers your question, mark it as helpful.
Be nice, eat all your vegetables and keep your room tidy.
0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hmm, that sounds bad and could explain why someone else had problems copying files via the switch in the hub.

Is the 10Mbps connection determined leds on the switch or pc netowork card properties at the other end or is it based on throughput.

I could imagine it possibly dropping to 100Mbps but 10!!!

I can manage a 1gig connection through standard cat5 (no easy way to upgrade at the moment), although only about 300Mbps throughput, however my hub is connected in modem mode so I've never tried a long connection to it directly.

twin--turbo
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

does the switch have LED's to indicate if it's 10/100/1000 Full/Half?

TT
0 Kudos
wonkotsane
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

It's probably Cat5e as Cat5 is pretty old now. Cat5 will do gigabit but not well. Cat5e will do gigabit better up to 100m depending on the quality of the cable.

Massage an ego, click the kudos button. If someone answers your question, mark it as helpful.
0 Kudos
wonkotsane
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

twin--turbo wrote:
does the switch have LED's to indicate if it's 10/100/1000 Full/Half?

TT

He said that if he plugs his own gigabit switch in it works fine. If the card was fixed at 10mbit or 100mbit then it wouldn't do 1gbit with another switch.

0 Kudos
Adriatica
Joining in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Haven't checked the MTU, but surely that would only affect the transfer rate, not the actual connection 'mode'? The switch is capable of 9k jumbo frames, no idea what the router is set at!

I tried several ports, assuming it could be something to do with switching between modem and router mode, but did a full reset to rule this out.
0 Kudos
Adriatica
Joining in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The speed was determined by using the diagnosis button in the interface - it was complaining that the connection was only 10mbps.

The network card goes up to the switch @ 1Gbps no problems.
0 Kudos
Adriatica
Joining in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Definitely cat 5e - I bought 300 meters of the stuff to write up the entire house! That was a long weekend!
0 Kudos
Adriatica
Joining in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

To clarify on the switches. It is currently:

Superhub <-> cheap 5 port switch <-> decent 16 port switch.

I want to remove the 5 port hub from this scenario!
0 Kudos