Menu
Preston85
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Router keeps dropping wifi

Every so often my router will drop the wifi out so nothing will connect but when I check my phone to reconnect the device is listed but won't automatically connect so when I click to join it from my iPhone it asks me for a password and when I put the router password in it says is incorrect until I have restarted the hub then it's fine again, this has been going on since the start of my contract nearly 3 years ago and I've been fobbed off by everyone at virgin media

Anyone have any idea before it all gets ripped out and sent back?
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Router keeps dropping wifi

Wireless reception is affected by many factors like Range, Client hardware, the Topograpy of your home, and the big killer, Wireless interference. All can affect wireless speed and cause the wireless signal to drop out.

First of all, I would try and optimise your wireless signal to try and prevent wireless dsropouts.

I would ensure the Hub is placed in a central, open position, away from obstacles and electrical devices.

You could try changing the wireless channel manually. Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android or use the wifi scanner built into Airport Utility would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel. Bear in mind the wifi scanners will not pick up interference from other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

Using the wider, usually less congested 5Ghz band could help, if your client devices support it.

Is it just the iPhone not reconnecting automatically?

I would check your wireless SSIDs are unique, so there are no other nearby wifi networks using the same SSID.

You can try resetting the wireless networks on the iPhone and forget the wireless networks on other devices you are having problems with. Personally, I would do a Factory reset on the hub just to clear any possible corruptions so you can start with a clean slate. Bear in mind that a Factory reset will change all SSIDs, passwords and passphrases to their default values printed on the hub, all wireless connections need to be set up again from scratch.

I would use WPA2 with AES wireless encryption as a few devices do not handle WPA Auto very well.

0 Kudos