Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 4 (223 Views)

No rooted devices on new wifi app

And so now Virgin have broken the Wifi app. It now won't work on my phone because my phone is rooted. Great! Thanks Virgin...

Can I have the old wifi-buddy back please? That worked fine!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4 (195 Views)

Re: No rooted devices on new wifi app

Hey Mmmm2,

Thanks for your comments Smiley Happy

I understand this is frustrating, but we're unable to support rooted / jail broken devices.

Let us know if we can help with anything else.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

Joining in
Message 3 of 4 (185 Views)

I don't understand why not.
You allow Windows platforms to access your wifi and Windows is essentially a rooted operating system.
Also Wifi buddy works just fine on rooted devices, so you used to support rooted devices, why stop? .
Luckily I have found an old wifi buddy apk which I shall use until it stops working, at which point I shall abandon virgin apps on my phone entirely.

A shame as it is a really good idea and I was looking forward to it.

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 4 of 4 (31 Views)

I'd like to add to this thread.  Although it's a few months old now, the big change is I had a letter this week telling me my hub was being enabled for the hotspot service.  I've never seen the point of the app until now, and this is a service I really wanted to use but sadly it's clear I cannot use it due to this stupid rooted restriction.

Rather than giving us a stock answer I'd like a suggestion actually putting into VM's management to see why this app cannot be run on rooted devices.  I have turned off the hotspot facility on my hub until I can use the app.  When the BT service works fine on a rooted device I cannot see why VM should be any different?

0 Kudos