Menu
mhuggett
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Much slower than advertised broadband speed (Evidence provided)

Hi, 

Me and my family have been experiencing very slow broadband speeds for a long time now (over a year). I have tried on numerous occasions to contact Virgin Media to tell them about this problem, however, I have been told every time by each representative that there are engineering works going on in my area (which never seem to end, though I was told that it should be ending in Oct 2016). Another thing which they have apparently tried to do is reset my modem remotely and some other standard stuff. None of this has had any effect. 

I have collected, over the last week, using Ookla speedtest some figures on my broadband (which is supposed to be 50mb/s): 

As you can see I am getting very very slow download speeds 90% of the time. Very rarely do I get a fast enough internet speed to play games like Overwatch or LoL. I spend most of my time on the computer after work at 7:30pm - 12pm and it's really annoying that I can't play my games with a decent ping. I don't think my bandwith is being taken by anyone else (secure password on modem) and my parents are not heavy users - only watching stuff on catch up TiVo. Occasionally we use our phones to access the internet but that's about it. I also don't think there's any problems with the connection between the modem and my PC (all other devices are affected, and when I tested the ping in cmd, it was fine). 

Any help with my situation is much appreciated.

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Much slower than advertised broadband speed (Evidence provided)

Hi there mhuggett,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to read you are experiencing slow broadband speeds.

I've taken a look at your connection and I could see the high peak time traffic fault in your area which you mentioned. The reference number is F003259558 an has a review date of 5th April. As this is a review date it can be subject to change.

I was unable to see the speed test results you posted, I'm afraid. If you are getting slow speeds during the daytime, are you able to complete a speed test through a wired connection and post the link/screen shot of the results please? When using speedtest.net, make sure that you select the default server.

Let me know how you get on
Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos