Menu
Payner
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Internet dropping on 2G on older devices

Can anyone give any advice as I have a very irate wife threatening to throw her laptop out of the window and after 3 calls to VM I don't seem to be getting any closer to solving the problem.

Superhub 2ac.

Connection throughout house on 5Ghz on dell laptop and iphone 7 is fine, but on devices unable to connect to 5Ghz (Lenovo laptops x 2 and older iphone possibly iphone4 ) the 2.4 band constantly drops.

On the laptops the signal only connects if you are in the same room as the hub, but once you connect you can move around the house and it tends to stay connected. However if the laptop goes into standby then the wifi will not reconnect until you go back to the room with the hub. Very irritating !

On the old iphone the 2.4 band only connects when in the room with the hub and loses connection immediately you leave the room. 

The various VM helpdesk people have suggested : changing channel on the 2.4, which we've done , restarted the hub, put back to factory default settings, changing the security mode from auto to AES all make no difference. It's almost like they'll try anything to avoid sending an engineer out !!

When connected the speed on both channels is ok.

Any suggestions that do not involve turn it off and on again or buying a new laptop?

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet dropping on 2G on older devices

Hi there Payner,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Sorry to read you are having an issue with the 2.4 GHz wireless network. I can imagine how annoying this must be.

You mentioned that you have tried changing the wireless channel, have you tried them all or just a few? As there could be an overlap of the channels.

If you take a look at this link Getting the best WiFi Signal, this will also give you a guide on getting the best wireless signal, try these to see if it will help.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos