Menu
pannetony
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent loss of wifi and admin login on SH2

I've had an intermittent problem with my Superhub 2 for a couple of years.   Sorry, this is quite a long description.

I have my SH2 connected to a number of wired devices via a switch, and both 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi networks enabled.  I have a couple of devices with fixed IP addresses that are outside of the range I have set for DHCP.  I have a separate wireless router connected via powerline ethernet to the SH2 which provides a wireless network in the loft where the SH2's wifi networks won't reach reliably.  Mostly things are fine, but every couple of months (irregularly) I get the following behaviour:

- Loss of both wifi networks on the SH2, but continued access for wired devices and devices connected to the loft's wifi network.  All of the connected devices continue to have internet access through the SH2.  The wireless network lights on the SH2 have gone out.

- Attempts to access the admin page of the SH2 fail, either when plugging in a PC to an ethernet port on the SH2, or via the loft's router.  The behaviour is that the 192.168.0.1 address is unreachable.  All this time I can access the internet through the SH2, but I can't access its admin page, so I can't perform any diagnostics.

- If I restart the SH2 I can login to administrate it for a short period of time - maybe a minute or so - then any attempts to display a page in the admin screens times out.  If I am able to disable the wireless networks on the SH2 whilst I am logged in then my admin login remains open indefinitely, but if I then re-enable the wireless the admin screen times out once more and I again lose administrative access.  However mostly I am unable to disable the wireless as the command is rejected due to the wireless settings being 'locked' (or something).

- If I perform a reset of the SH2, it starts successfully, with default wifi network names and passwords and I am forced to restore all my settings again.  After this all is fine until the next time it happens.

It's like the SH2's wireless network is overloading the router, stopping admin logins and then killing the wifi itself.

It's fairly tedious doing the fix every couple of months, and is downright annoying if anyone in the family needs internet access as the recovery takes 15 - 30 minutes and I'm the only one who knows how to do it.

Has anyone seen behaviour like this before?

I suspect there is a fault with the SH2.  When I first received it, it was clearly second-hand as it was quite dirty and the casing was loose.  Should I be seeking a new superhub?  

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent loss of wifi and admin login on SH2

Hi pannetony, 

Thanks for letting us know about your issues with intermittent loss of connection, I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I have tested your connection from here and I can see a lot of time outs inside the Hubs, I would need to arrange for an engineer to attend in order to get this resolved for you. 

I will send you a PM (purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required in order to proceed with making the booking. please respond to me there and I'll get this sorted for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos