Menu
haydenbcfc
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

IP location is showing different city as of past month, should i be worried?

I live in Birmingham and for the past month my internet speeds have been over overwhelmingly slow (on a 100mbps connection and only get 2 mbps between 4:30pm and 11:30pm) I have complained about this and have been told it will be sorted by the 9th December, But i have also noticed my IP now shows my location to be London near Brentford, (Websites such as speedtest.net, google maps etc)

Should this be a concern such as MAC cloning?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: IP location is showing different city as of past month, should i be worried?

MAC cloning is highly unlikely these days and it is far more likely that you have been assigned a new IP address that was previously used in Brentford and the geolocation companies are using this out of date location to serve up your location.

There is a good post about how geolocation works here:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Tech-Chatter/Geo-IP-Myths/td-p/3039178

With regard to your slow peak time speeds, if phone support gave you the 9th as the fix date then take it with a very large pinch of salt.  With peak time utilization issues the phone support staff give out review dates as fix dates, which they are not.  Chances are VM will review any progress (or lack thereof) made tomorrow and set a new review date for early next year.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos