cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP and Mac Address no listed in the router conected items

SKN
Joining in

Hi

I have a display screen that connects to my hard wire system in the house, no I know it works because i can access it from the software on the desktop.  the problem i have come across is that when I wanted to put the screen on a reserved IP address in case the router ever reboots and allocates a new IP to the screen the software will not be able to find it.so I went in to the router to set the screen IP to a static IP from a Dynamic in the router set up, and the IP and Mac address of the screen was not listed. I checked on the desktop to see if it was being recognised through the CND then using a ping to check if it was connected, it was the IP and the Mac address showed up as active on the network. I confirmed this with the ARP -a and it showed the IP and the Mac address. I then checked again in the router the screen was not listed, I called the tech support only to be told I had to pay a monthly subscription to get this problem resolved as it was my screen that was the problem and not Virgin Media. The problem was the router was failing to list all connected CAT6 equipment that was plugged into the router. Tech support had very little knowledge of the problem and was totally incapable of doing the job he was employed to do.

I would like to hear from any one that that had any similar problems with Virgin Media Routers and if they have solved the problem.

3 REPLIES 3

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

From your description it certainly seems to be a problem with the VM hub, but I very much doubt you will get any resolution from VM. Even if VM admitted to a firmware problem within the hub it is very unlikely it would ever get fixed. Your best, but unfortunately costly, is to invest in your own router and put the VM hub into modem mode. Many of us users on the board run in modem mode because we see far less problems with the VM hubs when they work in this mode.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

hi
you were correct it was the Hub an old Hub 3, I used to run the VM in Modem setup but after of 6 years of no problems it started to play up. I could not get access to the server from outside, so the VM went into router mode. but good news it was the router hardware, after 30 hours of telephone time and them refusing to send a new hub i finally got them to update the firmware, and low and behold immediately everything is back on things that would not connect where connected.

Hey SKN, thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome to the community I am sorry to hear about this.

I have taken a look and I can see there was an area outage but this ended on the 12/1/24 right now everything is looking great on our end.

Your levels are looking vey good also, could you please post your BQM and we can take a look at this for you. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?