cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 & Deco S4

Ish24
Tuning in

Hi,

I've recently signed up with VM and have got the Gig1 Volt Fibre Broadband package. 

I have the Deco S4's and wanted to connect them to the Hub 5 and use them as Wi-Fi's (I know I wont get 1gig speed over wifi with these) and I was going to connect my TV, console and PC via ethernet to the Hub 5

Should I put the hub 5 into modem mode and use the Deco S4's as access points so I can get wi-fi around the house and garden and still use the ethernet ports at the back of the hub 5? 

Or if there is a better solution please let me know. 

11 REPLIES 11

Client62
Legend

There are two workable options

1) VM Hub in Router mode  + Deco in Access Point mode. 
The VM Hub Wi-Fi and all network ports will be working as will the Wi-Fi and any network port of the Deco.

2) VM Hub  Modem mode  + Deco in Router mode - all devices are now connected to the Deco by network cable or by  Wi-Fi.    The VM Hub will have 1 network port working and its Wi-Fi will be disabled.

Thanks for that. I think I might just go with option 1. 

Do you know if the VM Hub works like the BT Smart Hub? The BT Smart Hub allows me to turn off the wi-fi without putting it into modem mode. Will the Hub 5 allow that or will I need to put it into Modem mode if I want to turn the wi-fi off on it? 

Client62
Legend

A VM Hub does allow the Wi-Fi to be disabled in Router mode.

A serious question is why do that ?  When the Hub 5 can provide a free high speed Wi-Fi 6 access point, 
just configure the VM Hub to the same SSID and Password as the Deco for seamless coverage in your home.

In out situation we have a VM Hub in Router mode with Wi-Fi enabled + two Wi-Fi access points,
so a total three points where a device can connect all using the same SSID / Password.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@legacy1 wrote:

I suggest getting a router

TP-Link AC1200 Wireless Dual Band Wi-Fi Router - Speed Up to 867 Mbps/5 GHz + 300 Mbps/2.4 GHz, 4+1 ...

Why purchase an inferior product to the Deco S4, based on the user's requirements?

How is it inferior? one  Deco S4 = the router with more ports it dose the NAT the Deco are the mesh

---------------------------------------------------------------

The OP doesn't have one S4, though.

yes and the router does the NAT the Deco are (as in more then one) the mesh

---------------------------------------------------------------

@legacy1 wrote:

yes and the router does the NAT the Deco are (as in more then one) the mesh

Just use the HUB. No need to complicate matters.