Menu
Ostrogradsky
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3.0 disconnects frequently

Hi all,

Apparently, like a lot of people, my hub disconnects frequently, often after 30-60 mins. I have the 100MBps broadband contract. By disconnecting, I mean the wifi doesn't work anymore (I didn't try the wire connexion yet), and the hub has only a remaining white light on its basis (so the power is OK), but not the wifi symbol as well as the double arrow symbol. To rceover the connexion, I need to reboot the hub.

Actually, I moved in a new flat, and I know that the previous tenant had an equivalent contract than me (so an equivalent hub). I use the Virgin media socket that the previous tenant had used, on which there is a wideband attenuator (10dB) that I let. Do you think this is the problem ? I didn't try to remove it since I guess that the previous tenant used it for its connexion.

Do you think the Hub is deficient ?

I tried the check procedure online of the Virgin media website, and it detected no problem.

Thank you in advance for your answer,

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3.0 disconnects frequently

Hi Ostrogradsky, 

Thanks for posting! Let me start by giving you a warm welcome to our forum community! It's great to see so many people getting involved around here!

I am sorry to hear that your Hub 3.0 has been constantly disconnecting, I apologise for any troubles incurred.

I've tested things from here for you and I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary, no errors or time outs inside the Hubs logs and all of your power levels are within the preferred ranges.

Are you still having these issues? If so, please respond to me here with a recent copy of your Hubs logs for me to compare with the data we have here. You can find these by opening your internet browser and typing 192.168.0.1 into the address bar, before logging in it will say 'Router Status' in the top right corner, click there and all of the information needed is inside.

Also how are you connecting, wired or wireless?

Speak soon, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
IainOb1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3.0 disconnects frequently

There seems to be a running theme of the virgin media hubs, all versions dropping wireless signal randomly and loosing internet. Ours did constantly, as soon as i started using the hub just as a modem and bought a third party wireless router i have no more drop outs of both wireless and internet. VM need to properly look into what is going on with the hubs as something is up and its happening on every model.

Our hub used to cause my windows phone to also costantly reset itself until i used the other router now no more resets either. This happened more if the phone was very close to the hub. This has happened to many people with windows phones and VM hubs many conplaints on microsoft forums about it so not a one of freak thing.

Is the wireless system the hubs use faulty? Does it cause electrical interference? Something is up what ever it is.

I have had 0 wireless drop outs now both on 5ghz and 2.5 and no internet drop outs for over a year now. All phones and pads in the house connect now without fail. Just use the hubs in modem mode if you can.

Oh and if you use a third party router get one with good qos settings and cap your download to a couple mb below your maximum. You will find it stabalises the downloads more and stops all the very bad bufferbloat VM cable broadband has. It means the download sits at a flat solid rate instead of fluctuating.
My Broadband Ping - virgin
0 Kudos