Menu
stickingwithit
Just joined
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3.0 - Can I have both 5GHz and 2.4GHz at the same time?

Hi

All but one of our devices works fine with 5GHz but my Wifes cr*ppy work laptop can only handle 2.4GHz. I don't want to 'downgrade' everything else just for this one laptop so would like to configure the router to use both at the same time.

I thought I might be able to do with with the guest network and give her a different network to connect to with a different setting but this doesn't seem possible as the whole router is either set to 5 or 2.4.

Any ideas anyone?

thanks 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3.0 - Can I have both 5GHz and 2.4GHz at the same time?

The Hub 3 broadcasts on the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz simultaneously. However, in their infinite wisdom VM decided to give both networks the same SSID. You can access the Hub's GUI using http://192.168.100.1 and navigate to the wireless settings and rename the SSIDs to what you want, giving the 2.4Ghz network a different name to the 5Ghz network, so you can connect to the network of your preference.

In theory if both networks have got the same name and credentials then a wireless device should connect to the network with the strongest signal.

0 Kudos
M4YON
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The super hub 3.0 has one simontanious SSID for 2.4ghz and 5.ghz so you dont need to do anything it automatically runs both at the same time by default.
0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Further to the above, you only need to give different ssids to 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz if you want to specifically connect to one or the other and the device your trying to connect with doesn't have an option for selecting frequency.
Having seperate SSIDs also may give you the option of priorotising connections but it does tend to mean your device will try to hang onto the higher proroty connection even when it would be better to switch.

Generally 5Ghz when your quite close, but it degrades quicker then 2.4Ghz due to distance and obsticales

If you leave both with the same SSID then the device trying to connect will attempt to use the best connection and will swap between 5 and 2.4 depending on conditions and if it can only handle 2.4 it will connect to 2.4 etc

0 Kudos
at3110
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I have an Echo that is connected to my 5GHz and is great for playing music... I then bought a couple of plugs for lamps in the house and they can only connect to 2.4.... so based on the previous messages I have changed the name of my 2.4 so they have different names but I still dont seem to be able to run them both at the same time! If I set up the plug then the music then tries to connect over 2.4 and it does not work properly....

Can anyone help me .... not very good at all this so please be patient and give me step by step idiots guide

thanks so much x

0 Kudos