Menu
Malcky1
Joining in
Message 1 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Hitron CGNV4 port forwarding

Hi there, I recently got Virgin cable specifically to have more bandwidth available for users remote desktop-ing into head office. I can'seem to forward any ports on the Hitron. I set up the rules as I have done many times before with other routers. Nothing. No packets are forwarded. Is this a known problem? How can I get round it?
Tags (2)
VikingBeer
Dialled in
Message 2 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hitron CGNV4 port forwarding

Any joy?

Will be trying to do the same with the HITRON CGNV4 as well.

VikingBeer

0 Kudos
VikingBeer
Dialled in
Message 3 of 25
Flag for a moderator

After a little head scratching when it would not work how I've configured BT Routers, I managed to get our HITRON CGNV4 to work with an SBS 2003 Server.

What threw me was we had 5x Fixed IPs, and the BT Router had its own IP, and the Server another one.

With the Virgin Business 200 Meg Line, we only have one Fixed IP, so I was having fun how to allocate that to the SBS 2003 Server.

I managed to get it working by using Dynamic DNS for the Server's Outward Facing Network Card, so it then worked OK for Client Web Browsing, but no SMTP email was getting in, or out, to the Domain that I was initially setting up.

However, by using Dynamic DNS Allocation between Server and Router, the Server was given an IP between the Router and Server, so that the Server then appeared on the HITRON CGNV4's Configuration Software.

The HITRON CGNV4 is the Gateway with IP 192.168.0.1.

The Server then ended up as, say, 192.168.0.35.

Once I could see the Server appear on the HITRON CGNV4's LAN SETUP, it was then just a case of going to PORT FORWARDING menu, Enabling Port Forwarding, and then Clicking Add, then I just setup "SMTP" with Public and Private Ports set to 25, and I entered the above IP (say 192.168.0.35) and after that, email started to go out, and come in, once I had edited the Domain's DNS Records to point mail to our Virgin Fixed IP.

The stumbling block, at least for me, was going from many Fixed IP to one. The key was not to allocate that Fixed IP to the Server, but just to let the HITRON CGNV4 allocate it an IP, and then open up Port 25 through the Router to the Server, to then allow SMTP traffic.

So far, that seems to be all that was needed.

Next I need to work out why Web Pages are so SLOW to come up no matter which Device or connection I use.

Likewise, the 200 Meg Line is very up/down in terms of Download Speed, Upload is OK at 13-14 Mbps, Ping is OK at 19-22 ms, but Download speed is mostly at 25-50 Mbps, and only very rarely does it get to 195-208 Mbps.

This Post may help someone.

VikingBeer

0 Kudos
VikingBeer
Dialled in
Message 4 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Quick update to my last Post...

I re-booted the SBS 2003 Server, then noted the Domain based SMTP email had stopped flowing in.

All was connected fine, so I checked the Router's Software, and under LAN, I noted that the Server had a different internal IP.

That explained the issue, because the Server had been given a different IP from the Router, say, 192.168.0.40.

When I had set PORT FORWARDING to the Router based internal IP of 192.168.0.35.

All I had to do was, on the Server, give it a Fixed IP to match the PORT FORWARDING, i.e.

IP = 192.168.0.35

Subnet = 255.255.255.0

Gateway = 192.168.0.1

I just unplugged the CAT5, and let the Server and Router get used to the Server now reserving 192.168.0.35 for itself, after which email flowed in again.

Obvious when you think about it.

My main initial snag was that I was trying to allocate the Virgin Fixed IP to the Server, when what it only needed was a reserved internal IP that the Router's PORT FORWARDING was set to allow open Ports to.

If you have more Fixed IPs, then it may well be that you need to specifically give one to the Server, but I'm not sure how that would work with the existing Router's Software, it's somewhat different to how BT Router's are set up, where you tend to have a Fixed IP for the Router, and also can allocated other Fixed IPs to devices too.

VikingBeer

0 Kudos
VikingBeer
Dialled in
Message 5 of 25
Flag for a moderator

This diagram may help:

THE INTERNET
.........|..........
.........|..........
VIRGIN MEDIA
[FIXED IP XXX.XXX.XXX.100]
.........|..........
.........|..........
Hitron CGNV4
[INTERNAL IP 192.168.0.1]
[PORT FORWARDING, Open Port 25 and 110 to IP 192.168.0.132]
[INTERNAL IP ALLOCATION]
.........|..........
.........|..........
SERVER
[with Reserved IP 192.168.0.132]

Edit the DNS for your chosen Domain to point the mail/MX Records at the Virgin Fixed IP you will get with the Line, and then all email will be Routed to that IP, where it should be Routed by Virgin's Servers to your own Hitron CGNV4, which will then, in turn, allow SMTP traffic via Port 25 to the Device that will be using the IP, in this example, of 192.168.0.132.

In the above example, that's a Server, so configure its Outward Facing Network Card (if it has two), to use IP 192.168.0.132, Subnet 255.255.255.0 and with the Gateway at 192.168.0.1.

Inbound email from your Domain should then be Routed via your Domain's MX Records to the Virgin Fixed IP of IP XXX.XXX.XXX.100, and then it will flow in via SMTP to Port 25 which will be opened up by your Router, so will pass traffic to Port 25 on your Server.

Likewise, POP3 can work if Port 110 is opened for your Server, and any other Ports that you may need for things like FTP etc.

HTH

VikingBeer

VikingBeer
Dialled in
Message 6 of 25
Flag for a moderator

In the above diagram, the IP 192.168.0.132 is just an example, you can use any IP within the range that the Router offers, with the sole exception of the Router's own IP which is 192.168.0.1 so that one cannot be allocated.

If when you look at the LAN menu option in the Router's Software and cannot see your Server coming up, set the Server's Outward Facing Network Card to accept Dynamic IP, and when you re-connect that to the Router, the Router will then give the Server an new IP.

So, look again at the LAN menu option, and you should see a new Device appear, that'll be your Server.

Make a note of the IP that it has been given, such as the above example of IP 192.168.0.132, and then you can select the Router's PORT FORWARDING menu, and open up Ports to the Device (AKA your Server), that is using the IP you just noted appear linked to a Device.

The Router's software may identify your Server by name, but it didn't in my case, so I just had to make a note of when the new Device appeared in the Router's LAN and go from there, once I could see the IP it had been allocated.

Lastly, remember that if your Server's Outward Facing Network Card is still set to accept a Dynamic IP, then it'll just get a new one when it next re-Boots, i.e. in this example it probably won't get IP 192.168.0.132, in which case PORT FORWARDING will not work, because it will be enabled only for IP 192.168.0.132, when by then your Server could be using, say, IP 192.168.0.119.

Thus, remember to re-configure your Server's Outward Facing Network Card to use the same IP that PORT FORWARDING is enabled for (as detailed above), and after that, no matter how many times you re-Boot the Server, it will keep using the same IP that has PORT FORWARDING set-up for it.

This works, and I've had SMTP email coming in fine since setting it up like this, and Server and/or Router re-Boots do not affect things.

Lastly, PORT FORWARDING may need to be set up in the above order, because I think it needs to identify a Device's IP to enable PORT FORWARDING to...but you may be able to just select a suitable IP, provided it's not already being used by another Device, so I'd advise checking the LAN first before trying it that way, and make a note of any existing Devices that already have an IP allocated, such as Smartphones, Tablets or Sky Boxes (if you run a Home/Office for example). Don't then use any of those IP, just pick an IP that is not showing in LAN.

Don't ask me how to set up multiple Fixed IP! I gather Virgin should be offering 5x Fixed IP and 13x Fixed IP in the second quarter of 2016, but how that will work I'm not sure. I think it may well need updated Router Software to handle this.

Finally, please do note that this is for Business Broadband with a single Fixed IP, which I don't think is available for the Virgin Consumer side of things.

HTH

VikingBeer

0 Kudos
VikingBeer
Dialled in
Message 7 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Quick update on the above Posts.

Because I have been testing configurations, our Server has been switched off quite regularly. We also have a number of Wireless devices that connect to the Router, such as Sky boxes, Tablets and Android phones.

I did wonder what might happen if the IP that I had intended for the Server, was allocated to something else whilst the Server was off and/or re-Booting.

I now know that the above is not just possible, but highly likely if the internal Hitron IP allocated to the Server is too low, i.e. at the lower end of the available IP range.

This happened, and caused no end of fun...even powering down the Router twice did not sort out the issues. I was unable to log-in to the Router, either via Wireless or via CAT5, although Wireless Services seemed to stay operational for some Wireless Devices.

A Laptop did flag a warning that there was an IP conflict, so my suspicions were confirmed.

I had to press the Router's RESET button on the back, after which I was then able to login to the Router again (I actually did so via Wireless via a Laptop, which usually works fine).

I couldn't tell which Device had conflicted, but because I was fairly sure what the issue was, I re-allocated a much higher IP to the Server, say IP 192.168.0.88 instead of, say IP 192.168.0.25. Obviously, I also then had to edit PORT FORWARDING on the Router to change the SMTP and POP3 Ports to be accessed via the Server's new higher IP of, in this example, IP 192.168.0.88.

Everything then started working fine again, but it does suggest a weakness in the Router's current Software.

Ideally, the Router needs the capability of Reserving one of its internal IP for a specific Device, or to at least be able to remove one or more IP from being allocated dynamically to random Devices that connected and re-connect regularly.

In mitigation for the Router, if a Server tends to stay on 24x7 as ours would normally do, then this issue would be less likely to happen once the Server is up and running and the Router is aware which IP the Server has self-allocated.

But if you needed to re-Boot your Server, and it is using a low IP from the Router's internal range, then there is a risk that another Device might get allocated that IP whilst the Server is off and/or re-Booting. Because I was re-Booting our Server quite regularly, this problem inevitably happened.

I'm trying to find the extent of the Router's internal IP Range, which I think I read goes from IP 192.168.0.2 to IP 192.168.0.200 (note the Router always uses IP 192.168.0.1 so that is never available for dynamic allocation, and should not be one for the Server to try and self-allocate for itself either) but you will need to check this until I update this with a later Post.

IOW, if the maximum range goes to IP 192.168.0.200, then I'd advise giving your Server a very high number from that range, say IP 192.168.0.190, and configure PORT FORWARDING accordingly to the same IP. Then tell the Server and, after that, it should be unlikely that another Device will slip in and be given that IP when the Server is off.

VikingBeer

0 Kudos
VikingBeer
Dialled in
Message 8 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I've found a more detailed User Guide PDF on the web, here:

Hitron CGNV4 Manual (PDF)

The above PDF is a lot more detailed than the Manual VM supplies with the Router, which is a little basic and vague where it counts.

Firstly, WRT the RESET Button, it looks like you have two options there, i.e. hold the RESET for less than 5 seconds, and the Router re-Boots with your existing settings intact. Whereas, hold the RESET for longer than 10 seconds, and the Router goes back to factory defaults, and clears your configuration.

WRT the internal IP range, or subnet, it looks like this goes from IP 192.168.0.1 to IP 192.168.0.254, see:

"1.4.1 Manual IP Address Setup

By default, your CGNV4’s local IP address is 192.168.0.1. If your CGNV4 is using the default IP address, you should set your computer’s IP address to be between 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.254"

I will re-allocate our Server an even higher IP now that I know the range, so will probably give it one closer to the upper end, to keep it well away from IP numbers being allocated dynamically on a regular basis.

HTH

VikingBeer

0 Kudos
VikingBeer
Dialled in
Message 9 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Further to the above, I've now found where I read, or spotted, that the VM Router uses an internal IP range that only goes up to IP 192.168.0.200

It's set in the Router's standard configuration, which can be seen under BASIC then LAN SETUP:

Under LAN Settings:

DHCP Start : 192.168.0.10

DHCP End : 192.168.0.200

It may be possible to change that, but that's the default as far as the VM Router is concerned, and if you do a 10 second or longer RESET via the button on the back, it will probably revert to the above when going back to factory defaults.

I'd therefore suggest allocating an IP for your Server that is below the upper IP 192.168.0.200, but well away from the lower IP 192.168.0.10 where the first 20-30 IP will change quite regularly as Android devices log on and off as they come and go.

VikingBeer

0 Kudos
mattman1983
Tuning in
Message 10 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Viking,

If your Router is doing DHCP, and the IP range is 192.168.0.10 - 200, change your Server's IP address to one that's outside of that scope, such as 192.168.0.254.  That way there will never be a conflict.

If you have a static IP address you will not need to use Dynamic DNS.  Dynamic DNS is specifically for people who have a dynamic IP address.

In terms of websites loading slowly, have you updated the DNS forwarders on your Server since changing from BT to Virgin? 

0 Kudos