Menu
hackneydave
Dialled in
Message 1 of 1
Flag for a moderator

Getting a better Wireless Network Signal - USB Wifi Dongle

Picking up on Pete's well-written post here. I'm mainly using the 5 Ghz band on my Superhub - if you have kit that runs on 802.11ac, you get a speed boost by tweaking advanced options on the hub - change your wireless signal to ac only on 5 ghz - getting over 200 down. Also, i've got a USB wifi dongle with two outboard whip antennas - it's by Alfa Networks - dongle attaches directly to USB port and can run in 3.0 or you can use the dongle stand that comes with a 1.5m cable. I had to do a bit of searching to find the correct driver but once installed it's a real burner. I turn off wifi on my Mac - the USB dongle has a separate utility that shows signal strength in colour bars.  If anyone is interested in the details, I can post a product link. My takeaway is that, in addition to a spectrum analysis like the one Pete did in his post, wifi quality on a client machine will benefit significantly from upgraded antennas. I'm estimated that signal strength is improved by around 30 - 50% and I can stay connected to the 5 ghz stream in areas of the house where I had either a very weak signal or no signal at all using the built in antennas on the Mac.

David Smith | Blueyonder pioneer (2001) | Mac OS X Sierra, WIndows 10, Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, iOS and Android | Internal Distro via Ethernet Cat 6, 5 Ghz 802.11ac wireless and HomePlug Av2
0 Kudos