cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delay after delay

AdamG99
Joining in

I'd arranged the broadband on the 6th September to be installed on the 23rd September. Then this was moved to the 11th October(this was fine as we were informed they would need to do some works due to a blockage in the line). Now I've been told its being moved to 3rd November due to permit requirement they were aware of when they did their initial visit at the start of september. This will bring it to almost 2 months after the contract date. My partner works from home and seriously needs wifi to get her job done and is currently having to work off of minimal mobile data then having to travel into the workplace. Broadband providers are limited where I am and having used virgin before I thought it'd be a fast turnaround however I may have to reconsider looking at another provider such as BT and claiming against virgin for the expense of being delayed multiple times. All you get from support is poorly worded and spelled messages with no proper detail explaining why it has taken 2 months and hasn't even started

5 REPLIES 5

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Sadly, there are no methods for resolving this that the customer can use.

Yours is a regular story of failure and bungling incompetence which, unfortunately, is reported on a near-daily basis on here.

The 'council permit' excuse is regularly used on here for long installation delays. You can actually phone up your local highway authority (might be your local or county council) and find out if VM has ever applied for any permits for your work. In several past topics on here, VM had been playing the 'council permit' card only for a savvy customer to contact their council and find out no permits had ever been applied for.

The way VM has set up its sub-contracting arrangements for cable installations seems to be that, once the job has been allocated to the sub-contractor, VM has no direct control or influence on how/when/if the job is carried out. When you call VM for information, the call handler is doing nothing more than reading the date showing on the screen in front of them. They have obviously been told to reassure the customer the date is valid as it is often quoted on here that the call handler will 'guarantee' the next date, only for the customer to find nothing happens on said date.

I don't think any reliable methods to speed up or change the process have been posted on here. All you can do is wait and keep very detailed records of all VM's failures, delays and false promises as you will be entitled to compensation for the delay.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automat...

Keeping evidence of the 'date initially confirmed in writing' when VM said they would 'activate' your service is important as that would be when any compensation starts from (para 9 below)

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0026/216962/Industry-Code-of-Practice-for-Automatic-...

Keep a detailed record of events (dates, times of all calls, messages, texts etc. along with any missed appointments and failed appointments where someone turns up but no work was carried out). Keep the record in a timeline format with links from the timeline to each piece of recorded evidence. This will make it easy for you in the future to put forward a case to arbitration for the correct compensation, should that be necessary.

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi AdamG99, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm really sorry to hear that we've had to put the installation on hold for now due to further works being needed to be completed. 

Whilst this isn't ideal, it does happen on occasions due to the way we provide our network. Sometimes this can take around 10 weeks to complete depending on the issue at hand. 

Whilst we're not able to expedite things, I'm happy to take a look at things for you to have the latest update. I can also get a complaint raised to ensure the relevant teams are aware. 

I have sent you a direct message to allow us to do this with you in a private space. If you are using a PC/Laptop then you can just click on the little ✉ at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox. If you are on a mobile/tablet device then instead click on the little circle icon in the top right then select 'Messages'. 😊

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi AdamG99, 

Thanks for sticking with me via private message on this one. 

I'm glad I was able to give you an update. 

Keep us posted on how things go on your end and let us know if you have any further issues. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

AdamG99
Joining in

Update on this

I have been informed by the street works company that the works have been done as of 12/10/2023 to clear up a blockage for my connection. There should now be no reason for there to be another delay so fingers crossed this is done on 3rd November

H AdamG99, thanks for the message and welcome back to the forums. 

I am glad to hear that the cabling works have now been completed. Please let us know how it goes on the 3rd November. 

Chris.