Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 17 (306 Views)

Connection issues (disconnects and packet loss)

Hello there,

I have been having a multitude of issues relating to my connection for many years now, but the latest series of issues are getting too annoying to ignore. It should be noted that the connection speed in terms of ping/upload speed/download speed is fine almost always (75 download, 5 upload). There are two main issues that I am currently suffering from:

1) Packet loss? This is getting really annoying for me, I am not sure if it is actual packet loss but I think it might be. Basically when I am playing a game, sometimes I randomly start lagging badly, not in terms of ping but packet loss. When playing a game called CSGO, I have a netgraph open that gives me some details about my connection, when this problems occurs I tend to get a loss of about 2-10% which can last from a few minutes to over an hour. If people experience it while they play, they will understand that is annoying that not only is everything delayed, but information such as sound or movement doesn't get sent to me which makes it near impossible to play properly.

On a side note, it feels like loading times are slower than it should be, maybe I am being picky. When I open a webpage, it can take around 3 seconds to load a simple page such as Google. I know that this isn't much compared to most PCs, but I have a powerful PC so loading times shouldn't be bad; the problem is another I game play via a client also loads textures very slowly (everything is white and can take well over 10 seconds to load). I can't be certain that it is my internet that is the issue, but it might be related to the slow web page load times (also there seems to be additional delay when I click to move in the game).

2) Disconnects. Although this is not currently happening, the issues seem to come in waves that can last weeks to months. Basically, my internet will be fine one moment, the next it cuts off for a period of time. When this is about to happen, my connection will lag (high ping) for a few seconds to minutes, then it will just cut out. In the bottom right corner of my screen the internet icon has a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark; when I run a diagnostic, it tells me that 'The DNS server is not responding', I have tried using different IPs (can't remember their name, something like ipv4 or ipv6?) such as Google's but it doesn't fix the problem. The connection will come back on after about 5 mins but only lasts a few seconds at most before disconnecting again, this can last hours at a time. As I've said, this is not currently happening so is not my priority, but it can come back at any time. When I do a speed time during my little period of connection, the upload and download speeds are close to 0.

To conclude, I want to know if there is a way to stop my packet loss, and less importantly the annoying delay/slow loading times when opening web pages and certain games. A possible fix to the disconnects would also be appreciated, but that is not too important at the moment.

Thanks for reading.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 2 of 17 (273 Views)

Re: Connection issues (disconnects and packet loss)

Hey AlexzanderRoger,

Thanks for posting Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear about the troubles with your connection, I appreciate all the details you've provided.

I've taken a look from our end and run basic tests so far and nothing is standing out in error. I wonder if you're able to set up a TBB monitor so we can take a closer look into your connection.

Hope to hear back from you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 17 (257 Views)

Hello, sorry for the delay. When I tried the test at first, it was showing 100% packet loss which I doubt is correct, I've followed the guide and will hopefully get back when the information is available.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 4 of 17 (238 Views)

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/bba512549a51b257a99b81602ed2039b-17-04-2017.html

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 17 (234 Views)

Hi AlexzanderRoger, 

Thanks for letting us know about your issues with your broadband connection, I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I have tested things from here and your Hub is showing as being offline, is this due to it being switched off from your end? If so, please respond to me here when it is switched on and available for testing and I'll get this sorted for you.

If it is not offline due to it being switched off from your end then an engineer will need to attend and investigate this further for you, I will send you a PM (Purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required in order to proceed with making the booking. Please respond to me there and I'll get this sorted for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 6 of 17 (212 Views)

Hello again,

A few weeks ago an engineer came around to change the hub and some other things outside. Unfortunately I am still getting the same problems, except they are being worded differently when I am trying to diagnose them. Last night from 18:30 to 21:00, the internet went off again, when this used to happen, the diagnostic told me that there was an issue with the DNS, however last night it just kept telling me to log in to my ISP on some webpage, but I couldn't do anything since I needed an internet connection to access the page. I've also noticed that it takes significantly longer for the internet to boot up when I start it, before I only had to wait maybe 30 seconds after my PC booted to get connected, now it can take up to 5 minutes after.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 7 of 17 (195 Views)

Hiya AlexzanderRoger,

Thanks for getting back to us and apologies you are still having an issue with the broadband connection.

I've taken a look at your connection and was unable to find any issues that would cause this.

Do you turn the router off when not in use by any chance? If so, can you leave it on at all times please as this will help with the start up connection.

With the time-frame of 18:30 to 21:00, do you have any timed devices within the property that turn on/off at this time? Does this happen on both wired and wireless devices?

Can you post an up to date BQM graph for us to check over please?

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 8 of 17 (189 Views)

Hello, thanks for responding again.

We usually turn the internet off at 9pm, although when I am alone I like to keep it on overnight. I am not aware of any timed devices that turn on around the house, and it does happen with both the wired and wireless devices (my computer uses an Ethernet cable which does connect into a wireless router though, although that itself has wires connected to the hub). As for the graph, I think this is an up-to-date one:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/c2d5534a04f9cddf9a61283118b002a280...
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 9 of 17 (171 Views)

Thanks for updating the thread AlexzanderRoger,

I've had a look at everything from this end for you and I'm unable to detect any faults via the account at the moment.

Are you still experiencing disconnections at all?

Speak soon,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 10 of 17 (142 Views)

Not at the moment, it seems like the disconnects come in 'waves', one week it's fine, then another week it will happen multiple times.

0 Kudos