Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Clever-clogs
gsteruk

Tethering - Yes or No

Hi, im hoping to be moving to virgin mobile pay monthly soon from three.  With three any tethering done to my mobile came out of my data allowance, and no charges made.  However im reading contradictory info on Virgins stance on this.  The largest data allowance i can see is 5GB - so does this constitute unlimited data plans available on other networks?  And if so - would any tethering be taken from this allowance and not charged? Its pretty much a deal breaker, im of the opinion that if im paying for mobile internet, then how i use that is totally up to me, charging extra for tethering in this day and age is surely going to put a lot off using Virgin? it sure will me! but be interesting to know the actual stance on this

thanks a lot

Please use plain text.
Boffin
williammorris

Re: Tethering - Yes or No

Have a look at these 2 links mate. I am surpised your moving away from 3. for the data bit they are the best

http://www.wirelessforums.org/uk-telecom-mobile/virgin-mobile-tethering-charges-98131.html

http://aintitpre.posterous.com/hidden-mobile-data-charges-ethical-or-not

Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
gsteruk

Thanks for the links. I see mention of unlimited data plans, but virgin doesn't seem to have one! So confusing! Agreed three data services are good, but when it comes to upgrade time they treat existing customers pretty bad, and their prices aren't very competative. Plus the foreign customer service is frankly awful. Saying that virgins is pretty bad too. Looks like ill be looking elsewhere.....
Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
Krystal_E

Hi gsteruk,

Tethering is something you can do, and as long as you stay within your data allowance then you won't be charged anymore - different plans have different allowances for data so best to check on your allowance through your account online or through 789.

Just bear in mind that pc sites take more data than mobile optimised sites so you'll use that data up incredibly quickly if not careful - keeping an eye on your allowance through 789 will help with this.

Many thanks.

Krystal Evans
Mobile Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Problem with your mobile?
Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
sugarbabenl

Could you please provide the settings which should be used in Blackberrys Desktop manager in order to tether my blackberry?? No body seems to know how to do it, although when I originally took out the contract I was told I definately could.

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
sugarbabenl

Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
martynco

Hello Krystal,

Many thanks for the statement on tethering it is the clearest one I have seen. I am already a Virgin Media customer and my mobile contract with a different supplier has run out and I am thinking of changing to Virgin Mobile. One thing that was still worrying me was the 24MB a day limit, looking at the web site it only seems to mention it on the pay as you go account I don't see it mentioned on the Pay monthly, I am looking at the 

Virgin SIM Only £12/month deal. I occasionally would want to tether my Android tablet to it (probably 5 or 6 times a year) as long as this did not take me above my 1 GB / Month limit then that should be OK without encountering any other charges, is that correct? I read horror stories about people getting £80 bills for going above the 24MB / day limit but I assume they are pay as you go or unlimited customers is that correct?

Thank you,

Martyn

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
walkerx

martynco wrote:

Hello Krystal,

Many thanks for the statement on tethering it is the clearest one I have seen. I am already a Virgin Media customer and my mobile contract with a different supplier has run out and I am thinking of changing to Virgin Mobile. One thing that was still worrying me was the 24MB a day limit, looking at the web site it only seems to mention it on the pay as you go account I don't see it mentioned on the Pay monthly, I am looking at the 

Virgin SIM Only £12/month deal. I occasionally would want to tether my Android tablet to it (probably 5 or 6 times a year) as long as this did not take me above my 1 GB / Month limit then that should be OK without encountering any other charges, is that correct? I read horror stories about people getting £80 bills for going above the 24MB / day limit but I assume they are pay as you go or unlimited customers is that correct?

Thank you,

Martyn

Hi Martyn,

Once you are connected to Virgin Mobile and if on the 30 day contract keep checking the website as new contracts become available all the time - I was on a 30 day that only gave me 2.5GB data a month, but I have just swapped to a 30 day unlimited data for less.

I tether my tablet every so often to my mobile (both android) and never had any problems with data usage. I actually use more through my phone itself that with the tablet tethered as at home I ensure it's always kept updated and when away only a few apps may need updating.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
martynco

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me that sounds like good news. As I explained it would be the exception that I would tether, mainly when I visit my younger daughter who has no Internet connection and even then it's only a little surfing and a few e-mails so hardly heavy usage but when I heard about someone being charged £80 for a few MB it certainly worried me.

All the best,

Martyn

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
AcerFan

You seem like the person in the know here, 

Essential SIM Only £17

SIM card cost FREE
Your tariff gives you:
  • 1200 minutes
  • Unlimited texts
  • Unlimited Mobile Web

...is the Unlimited Mobile Web truly unlimited even with tethering? I wouldn't be a big user but I hear horror stories of some unlimited deals being just 500mb or some such silly figure elsewhere. 

TIA!

Please use plain text.