Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
zeinsalie

Increase Mobile Phone Signal in my Home

I would like to know how to increase my mobile signal within my property.  I am getting fed up with lost signal and was wondering what Virgin has to offer.  Mobile Phone Signal repeater? 

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
elemer82

Re: Increase Mobile Phone Signal in my Home

Hi,

I am looking for the answer to your question months after you posted.

First of all, apparently (by ofcom website) mobile signal repeaters are illegal and it can cost you up to 5,000 GBP and/or 51 weeks in jail.  Because the frequency spectrum is owned by (O2, Orange, T-Mobile, Vodafone, Three respectively) and anyone else is forbidden to emit in the same spectrum(s).

Second of all, If you are a:

Vodafone Customer, you can buy a Sure Signal box connect it to your home internet connection and that will emit a local small Vodafone Signal (this device is also called femtocell device), for this to work you need internet connection (BT, VirginMedia etc.).

Three's Home Signal is the same thing.

O2-PayMonthly have an app called TuGo - which does kind of the same thing over your WiFi.

EE, T-Mobile and Orange Customers have the Signal Box, but unfortunately even though Virgin Mobile uses their signal, it doesn't looks like this box will help us.

If you got a soultion for a bad signal at home with Virgin Mobile than please post it.

For Virgin: Please get a box or app together.

Please use plain text.
The Sorter
rayhipkiss

Virgin will be releasing an app soon called Smartcall that helps when you have little or no mobile reception at home. 

http://customer.virginmedia.com/smartcall/

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
elemer82

Thanks for your quick reply.

That is very good news.

HOWEVER

Something is not too clear for me.

I need something (like this app) to be able to use my Virgin Mobile indoors.

This SmartCall it only talks about "your Virgin Home Phone" , and getting the Home Phone minutes on to your mobile and even abroad.

It doesnt' really talks about a Virgin Mobile. (as far as I can tell from the link you gave me)

I don't have a Virgin Home Phone - neither intend to get one ; that would be another phone number and everybody knows my mobile number.

So my question would be:

Am I misunderstanding something (I hope I do)?

Or this app will be for Virgin Home Phone (Landline) as well as Virgin Mobile ?

Thank you,

Elemer

Please use plain text.
Mythical
jb66

Why woukd the ee box not work?
No longer registered
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
elemer82

I am not 100% sure it wont work.
I.just dont know exactly.how they work.

My guess is that they use the same frequency as EE , and to authenticate you (who you are what can you call and so on) they connect this SignalBox to the EE server through the internet.

If this solution would work for Virgin Mobile than I will get one tomorrow.

Do you know.for sure that this will work ??

Elemer
Please use plain text.
Mythical
jb66

I dont know sorry, but if you find out please let us know
No longer registered
Please use plain text.
Forum Team
Mark_Y

elemer82 wrote:

This SmartCall it only talks about "your Virgin Home Phone" , and getting the Home Phone minutes on to your mobile and even abroad.

It doesnt' really talks about a Virgin Mobile. (as far as I can tell from the link you gave me)

Am I misunderstanding something (I hope I do)?

Or this app will be for Virgin Home Phone (Landline) as well as Virgin Mobile ?

I am not 100% sure it wont work.
I.just dont know exactly.how they work.

My guess is that they use the same frequency as EE , and to authenticate you (who you are what can you call and so on) they connect this SignalBox to the EE server through the internet.

Hi Elemer

Happy to help with this :smileyhappy:

You're quite right that the SmartCall app we're developing is to be used in conjunction with a landline and not mobiles at the moment, although it does use the WiFi on the mobile to make calls through your landline.

I can appreciate this isn't something you will be able to take advantage of at this time.

As EE's Signal Boxes haven't been tested with Virgin Mobile, there's no guarantee it will work. For more information on this, have a look at this thread.

Many thanks,

Mark Y
Help & Support Forum Team

Problem Solved?Fault with your service?We did warn you!
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
elemer82

I am very dissapointed to hear that.
I don't see much point on having an app on your mobile to use your landline minutes, like home.
It would be much more usefull having the same app but for Virgin Mobile Customers. When I don't have signal in my home but have WiFi I could still use my phone (people could still reach me).

Hope Virgin will make this app avalaible for Mobile customers as well.

PLEASE !!!
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Ian2345

From what I'm read from other queries on this forum you can only make outgoing calls using the smart app and not recieve them, SMS texting does not work either.

Please use plain text.