cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media o2 Contract renewable scam?

webbm1
Tuning in

Last June whilst renegotiating our VM account we used the Whatsapp service to do so, we were offered a new deal/bundle which we were happy with the price however we were told it had to to come with an o2 Contract sim for 18 months. We didn't want it but the price was better than we were paying so I agreed to do it.  

We never got the sim, and after a few months when I tried to register it most of the account names were under someone else's name. (I highly suspect the guy who was talking on behalf of VM on whatsapp).

So for the last 18 months we've just been paying this £25 a month seperate to our VM direct debit. Obviously I regret agreeing to it now. 

I've just gone to try phone o2 and can't get through the security procedures as the name they are looking for is the VM workers name.. I have his address too as its on my o2 profile. The guy on phone from o2 advised that I go into an o2 shop with forms of ID but the whole think just seems dodgy to me now.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this in the past or what I should do now?

I said should I just cancel the DD but he told me he wouldn't recommend it as I may get letters through the post. I mentioned could I not just phone back up and use the (VM workers name) and start again but he told me he couldn't recommend that either, not sure I'd want to do that either to be honest.

I still have all the old whatsapp chat logs from 18 months ago plus a screenshot of my o2 profile with my name, then the VM workers name and address.

10 REPLIES 10

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi webbm1,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome back, sorry to hear there is some concern around your Sim which came with your package, so I can get this investigated further I will send you an invite into a private chat, once received click on the white envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul.

Alf191955
Joining in

When renewing my contract, I am  having the same problem. Someone has opened an 02 account without my knowledge. They have created an email and a security question of which I have no knowledge. Therefore I cannot pass the security check. I am now being sent threatening letters for outstanding bills.

Eventually having spent a long time on the phone I was advised to go into an 02 store. I have now done this and I have verified my identity. I was told by a helpful person at the 02 store in Ealing that she was advised by customer services that  the account was set up by Virgin Media and that the account would be closed but could not send me an email to confirm as the email they had was not my email. So now to confirm this has been done I have to make another visit to an 02 store to confirm this has been done after 14 days. What a shocking waste of my time. Since then I have had yet another threatening letter with the outstanding amount increasing.

I hope the person responsible is held to account. This is fraud.

Can someone from VM advise me how this can be sorted out

Hi Alf191955,

We are sorry to hear this, as we do not have access to O2 accounts this isn't something we can look into, when a Volt deal is taken this includes a Sim which is chargeable separate Via O2.

I will be more than happy to look into your Media account and see if I can get some further information, I will send you an invite into a private chat, once received click on the white envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul.

Hi Paul

I have not heard from you but now I need to update you.

I beg to differ, it is a Virgin Media problem. In fact it is a scam. Like one of the previous customers have mentioned on the forum, an account was generated without my knowledge when renegotiating my renewal contract with Virgin Media. At no time was I told that I would also receive a sim, it was not mentioned at all. Like the previous person who had a similar experience an O2 account was set up in my name by a Virgin Media employee, with an email and password that were not mine. Therefore I could not access the account and no one at 02 would speak to me because I did not know the email and password details. I explained the issue and suggested that this was fraud as someone was using my details. I asked to speak to someone about this they told me there was no one that could help me to document this. So if you are saying it is an O2 problem and O2 are saying there is no help, who am I supposed to go to. 

No direct debit was set up and so I have been receiving bills for an account I have no knowledge of, set up by Virgin.

Having spoken to an 02 member of staff in an 02 store in Ealing who called up customer support on my behalf, I was told that this is 'another' one of those accounts set up without the customers knowledge so they could get commission. Although back in December I was told the contract would be cancelled and no charges would apply, I have now received a letter from debt collectors as I had not paid my bill.

This will affect my credit rating, it is extortion and it is stressful and time consuming. 

Your customer service and sales is amongst the worst, dishonest companies I have ever had to deal with. 

Please can someone take ownership of this. I am looking at all avenues to take this further.

A Very Disappointed  Customer

Theo

Alf191955
Joining in

Hi

Have you been able to sort this out. I have had the same happen to me. If you did sort it, can I ask how you managed to do so.

Thank you

Hi, Paul.  I am another customer who was scammed by Virgin Media when I set up my package as a new customer.  I have spoken to an untold number of VM customer service people on the phone and been told that managers will call me back, but they never do.  This scam has cost me hundreds of pounds and hours of my life to try and resolve, and I have had enough.  Please contact me urgently to resolve this issue.

Hi @Alf191955 thanks for getting back to us.

I would like to take a look at things on your behalf. I am going to send you a private message. Please keep an eye on your inbox in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee_R

Hi @MrsVCK thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

Sorry to hear of any mis-selling of your package and for any inconvenience this may have caused you. I would like to take a closer look on your behalf. I am going to send you a private message. Please keep an eye on your inbox in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee_R

Just to give you all an update.  After hours on the phone and getting mucked around, I gave up that approach and raised a complaint via this link https://my.virginmedia.com/my-cases/make-a-complaint.  They said they will credit me back with the money that was taken, but it will take a couple of weeks to show.  Let's see if someone actually does it!  I do have this all in writing this time though, so at least I won't have to wait weeks for them to listen to the call recording to prove that I'm not the one lying!  Good luck, I hope you all get this resolved ASAP.