Menu
Belalm
Settling in
Message 1 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Moving Home - No Service

I am in the middle of buying my first house and want to move my service with me turns out virgin are unable to supply a service to me and because I am in contract I am now expecting to be charged. I am disgusted and will not be wanting to rejoin virgin after this experience. Why do I have to pay when virgin carnt supply the service is there anyway around this? Any help please.......

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 31
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Moving Home - No Service

hiya @Belalm so to double check virginmedia services aren't available at the new address? if there isn't you could register interest via -> https://keepup.virginmedia.com/cablemystreet?buspart=uk_pre_b_na_info_network-expansion

within the contract there is a section for EDF (early disconnect fees) http://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/early-dis... you could have a chat with customer relations to discuss this by this by choosing option 4 on telephone system (thinking of leaving us).
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 31
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

hiya @Belalm so to double check virginmedia services aren't available at the new address? if there isn't you could register interest via -> https://keepup.virginmedia.com/cablemystreet?buspart=uk_pre_b_na_info_network-expansion

within the contract there is a section for EDF (early disconnect fees) http://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/early-dis... you could have a chat with customer relations to discuss this by this by choosing option 4 on telephone system (thinking of leaving us).
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
tjpinkstone
Joining in
Message 3 of 31
Flag for a moderator

paultechy wrote:

This isn't really a response though is it? I too have just had a similar conversation and want to know why I am expected to continue to pay for a service that you can't/won't provide in my new address.

frank_gm
Community elder
Message 4 of 31
Flag for a moderator

tjpinkstone wrote:

paultechy wrote:

This isn't really a response though is it? I too have just had a similar conversation and want to know why I am expected to continue to pay for a service that you can't/won't provide in my new address.

To be fair, this is primarily a customer forum and paultechy is simply another customer, as am I.

The simple answer to your question is that you have a contract with VM for them to supply services at the address on the contract. Should you choose to move to another address during the period of your contract then the services will move with you so long as VM are able to provide the service at your new address. They have no responsibility should they be unable to provide a service there as the contract is specific to the original address.

That is the official position. There is a possibility of some latitude if you have to move but the onus would be on you to prove that is the case.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
nmonkey1977
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 31
Flag for a moderator

my dad is going through the same thing at the moment, my mother recently passed away and my dad is being forced to moved out of his rented home and into a communal home - they have no vm service... SKY cancelled without issue when he provided details, but vm are trying to make him pay £180 to end his contract...i get some people probably try to to con their way out of contracts but when i genuinely cant be helped i think vm's stance is disgusting!
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Hi tjpinkstone, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. 

As mentioned by frank_gm, Paultechy was merely trying to help the OP out without them needing to wait for us to respond. 

I can confirm that the process is as follows:

When you take out services and a contract with us, you are committing to staying at that address with our services. Should you wish to move during that term, we are more than happy to transfer the services to that property, providing it is a cabled area. This puts you into a new 12 month contract at the new property and there is a £10.00 moving charge applied to the bill.

As you’re moving house to a place where we cannot provide services, this is essentially ending the contract you have with us and therefore the fees would apply.

You can check the terms and conditions of the contract here http://virg.in/LWyN3 and you’ll find them under the ‘moving home’ section in section K. 

I understand this isn't what you'd like to hear but i'm afraid we wouldn't be able to change this. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
scarfox
Joining in
Message 7 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath,

I have the same issue. If there are 3 persons renting our current home, and 1 is staying behind, would an account holder change be an option? If the answer is yes, how can we do that, what information do we need to provide for the change. She was living with us for 6 months, aged 18+.

Thanks,

Andras

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Hi Andras

Thanks for getting in touch regarding the possibility of a Transfer of Responsibility for your account.

I've included  some information regarding this process for you and hope this helps you Smiley Happy

In order to complete a TOR for you the person accepting this must have:

• Lived at the address for at least 6 months.
  • The current payments on the account must be up to date.
  • Accept a new 12 month mandatory contract will begin on completion of the transfer.
  • Understand that the 14 day right to cancel option is not valid for Transfer of Responsibility requests, and is to be disregarded.
  • Accept the one off charge to cover the cost incurred by Virgin Media in actioning such a request  of £20.00 to be applied to their first pro rata statement.

We would arrange this with yourself by sending these forms to you via the post:

• Documents will be issued within 48 hours of a TOR request
  • The forms need to be completed in full and returned within 14 days.
  • The original account holder will remain responsible for the account until the transfer has been completed.
  • The Transfer can take up to 31 days from receipt of the completed forms, and the new account holder will be notified in writing on completion of the transfer.

If there's any further information you need on this, please let me know Smiley Happy

If you do decide to go ahead with this, we can arrange to send these forms to you, or you can contact us via 150 or 0345 454 1111.  Alternatively you can find our Webchat options on our homepage if you go to:

virginmedia.com >Help>search>Contact Us

Let me know what you decide, we're here if you need us Smiley Happy

Kind regards

Karen

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
asw
Joining in
Message 9 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Kath_f,

Could you confirm what happens when the Virgin Media contract holder is forced to move home?

My family have been told by our landlord that the property is being sold, and therefore we are required to leave the property beforehand. We are on a rolling monthly tenancy, and so they are within their rights to do this.

I love the VM service, best I've had. I would love it in my new home, in fact I'd love to bump up to Vivid 200 there - but the £240 being asked of me when I have no power to do anything about my situation will leave a bad taste in my mouth and a dent in my trust.

I know that Virgin is in the approximate area (as is BT Infinity), although not right now in the exact postcode.

Thankfully I've managed to find a 6 month deal with a temporary provider, I really hope that Virgin arrives before that runs out!  I am a huge advocate of Virgin's services, but will be forced to sign up to another provider longer term if you're not there. If you can tell me how many enquiries are required in an area before Virgin arrives - I will gladly do some legwork in the estate our new home belongs to!

Throw me a bone Kath ... give me some great news! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Hi asw, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. I really wish it was under better circumstances. 

I've had a chat with a manager from the relations team to see if this is something we would look at on an individual basis and I'm afraid I come bearing bad news. 

As it stands, the early termination fees would stand. I'm sorry that we're not able to install you at your new address currently however with Project Lightening being faster and better than ever, make sure you register your new address here: http://virg.in/cmsforum Get your neighbours to do this too as the more interest the better the chance we'll be coming to you. 

If we are able to install you within a month of you paying the early termination fees and you decide to take a service then we would refund these to you. 

Apologies I was unable to give you better news. 

Take care and Good Luck with the move. 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos