cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change name on contract or quit from Virgin and make new contract for new person at the same day

LopezDaVinci
Tuning in

Hello,

I have Virgin media contract ended about 16 Sep 2022. I paying now 49.75 GBP for M125 Fibre Broadband which is no longer acceptable for me like I can't afford that any more. I renting house with my mother who have Universal Credit and we want to move to Essential broadband plus. The question is how to do this in best way.

1. Change name on contract from me to my mother and move from M125 Fibre Broadband to Essential broadband plus, or
2. I quitting Virgin and my mother making new contract for here. Just the problem is how to do this to do not have days without internet like my mother need it for updating journal for her Universal Credit? Her contract should start in the same day when my contract ending then. How to synchronize it? Could we sort it out thru the forum or email please like I working a night shifts and I sleep at day days when you have open your phone lines. 

2 REPLIES 2

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @LopezDaVinci 

I'm afraid you can't transfer VM accounts unless the current account holder is no longer living at the property, or if the account holder is suffering from a critical illness or has died - see <<< this page >>> 

I realise from your post that you are working, however if you are receiving  any of the following you should be able to switch to the Essential Broadband Plus package yourself.

Universal Credit, Pension Credit, Income Support, Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance†, Income-based Employment Support Allowance†, you are eligible for Essential broadband packages. This applies to new and existing customers.   † (not contributory-based only. If both income and contributory-based, your income-based ESA or JSA must be higher)

Otherwise you would need to cancel your existing account and you mum would need to sign up on the Essential Broadband Plus package as a new customer.  There is no guarantee that the services wouldn't be interrupted, however you or your mum should go to https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/low-income-families  and click on the Live Chat button. They will do their best to help you.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi LopezDaVinci, 

Thanks for taking the time to post about your issues in the Community.

We're sorry to hear you're unhappy with the cost of your services. We do usually have special offers and promotions to welcome new customers on board but when this offer ends, the package price will revert to the standard package price for the bundle.

As mentioned above by newapollo, you wouldn't be able to switch the account in to your mum's name. You would need to cancel the services in your name, with 30 days notice and then your mum will be able to take an account in her name. It wouldn't be possible to do it with no interruption to the service as before a new account can be activated, the previous one needs to be disconnected so there would be a minimum of 1 day interruption. Depending on the new install type, as it would be a whole new account with new equipment etc - it could be longer. 

For the Essential Package, if you click the link that newapollo provided above, this will link you up to Live Chat and the team there will be able to discuss your options further. 

Keep us posted on how things go. 

Many thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs