cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switchover is becoming a nightmare

Azura
Joining in

Hi, I'm not tech minded, so please talk to me with that in mind. Thanks in advance for any help. 

I had an engineer round last week for switchover, as I have the Hub in my daughter's room and don't want a phone in there - and I have two corded phones - one in  my bedroom and one in the living room. So was told I would have to have rewiring done, so I can keep the phones I have, where they are. I don't have a mobile and so rely on using my landline every day - for medical issues and checking up on my elderly parents. I'm also housebound, so can't get out to use any other communication. 

So, I took ages to move all the furniture away from the walls, to make it easier for the engineer. He came last week and told me that I couldn't have any phones in any other rooms, apart from my daughter's and when I told him that customer services had told me he would put extension wires around the skirtings and doors - he said he didn't do wiring and I'd have to buy extension wires myself and do it myself - or buy some wireless phones (I don't have the money for that). So I was left with just one phone in my daughter's room - which, being as it's corded - isn't ideal, as I have to keep going into her room to make a call, or answer it. Also the phoneline is dreadful - static, buzzing and people can hardly hear me but I can hear myself echoing. And also I can't do 141 before dialling a number, to withhold my number - it says that doesn't work any more.

So I rang customer services again and was told that the engineer could indeed do rewiring and they didn't know why he hadn't - and I was guaranteed the next engineer would get all my extensions working - and that I didn't need to buy anything else and do it myself (I wouldn't know how). I was promised faithfully, that the customer service guy would write a message to the engineer, saying what had to be done. He kept telling me that he had put notes on what had to be done, for the next engineer. 

So,  a week later, without any decent phone line and I moved all the furniture away from the walls again - and an engineer comes out today. Says nobody has told him that it needs rewiring and he doesn't have time and that he only came to fit an adaptor. And that he'll put in for another engineer to come out but it will probably be at least a week and I'll get an email for an appointment. 

So, I'm kind of stressing now. I have been told by 4 different people who work for Virgin - 4 different things. The customer service people on the phones, keep assuring me that the work can be done - and the engineers tell me that either it can't, or they haven't been told - and they don't have time. 

So, I guess I just want some reassurance that this can, in fact be done - or am I going to get a third engineer who tells me they either don't do that - or haven't been told. Hope I'm not being rude - I just feel like crying, as it feels like nobody is communicating with one another. 

13 REPLIES 13

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Azura,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm so sorry to hear that you're having some trouble regarding the set up and installation following the switchover. I can assure that we certainly can help with the rewiring and set up of an installation. It's possible that the incorrect visits have been booked, and I do apologise for that.

When is the next technician visit scheduled and booked for you?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi, thanks for your reply. I don't have another appointment yet, as my engineer today said he didn't know when another could be booked - and he would set one up and I'd be emailed when one was available. He did say it would be at least another week. 

But everyone I talk to assures me that their information is right - and the others haven't known what they're talking about. And the people on the phones swear blind they have given details of what needs to be done, to the engineers - and then the engineers say nobody has told them anything. So I'm just kind of losing faith in anything I'm told. 

Hi @Azura,

Thank you for clarifying. I'm going to send you a private message in a few moments so we can see what's going on. Please respond to this when you can and we'll proceed from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Azura
Joining in

Thank you for your private message. I've replied. 

Azura
Joining in

Hi, I replied to the private message yesterday and gave all my details. But haven't heard anything back. 

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Azura 

Thanks for your response

My colleague will be back in touch as soon as possible via Private Message, thank you for your patience.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Azura
Joining in

Ok, no worries. Thank you. I just didn't know how it all worked and whether he had received my reply. 

eileenallison
Up to speed

Someone should have a word with the engineers, tell them to stock vans with more wire for said jobs, they have mobile phones with them to contact vm directly, only interested in getting customer  to give them good feedback to get their bonus for job, also vm should help with prices for voip phones and where they can be purchased, and drop line rental

Hi Eileenallison,

Thanks for joining in on this conversation, sorry if you had a poor experience with an engineer recently!

We can get this fed back to the relevant Team, so thank you for your feedback. 

Is there anything else we can help with today? 

Thanks,

Megan_L