Menu
mjbridger1989
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

PlayStation 4 WS37397-9 Error - Public IP Banned

For the last 5-6 weeks, when I have tried to sign in to the Playstation Network, connected to my Virgin Media router, I have received the error code W37397-9, which I understand from many Google searches means that the public IP address of my home network has been banned by Sony. This seems to be confirmed by the fact that I also cannot log in to my PSN account when on my mobile or laptop if connected to that same network. If I am on a different network, e.g. at a coffee shop or a friend's house, I can sign in.

As neither I nor my housemate have done anything dodgy for the IP to be banned, I'm assuming that Virgin randomly allocated us a new address that had already been banned by Sony.

I have repeatedly contacted Virgin over the last 5-6 weeks, explaining the situation and asking for the IP to be changed. However, they have on every occasion said they are unable or unwilling to do this and explained that it is down to Sony to remove the IP from their 'blacklist'.

Sony have been as unhelpful and consistently said it is not something they can do and it is down to Virgin, as the ISP, to only allocate usable IPs to their customers and, where defective IPs are discovered, to change them and remove them from the 'pool'.

I feel like I've exhausted all my options and that the only alternative is to change provider - tricky to organise with my elusive landlord - or to suck up the fact the PS4 is now a £300 paperweight.

Has anyone been in this situation and found a resolution?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: PlayStation 4 WS37397-9 Error - Public IP Banned

Sony put the ban in place and it is their system, so they can remove it, it just that they don't want to. On the flip side, VM don't want to start a trend where every time someone complains about being IP banned, they give the customer a new hub. So you're between a rock and a hard place.

The quickest and cheapest solution is to buy a 3rd party router and run that with your Superhub in modem mode, you'll have a new public IP and be able to Sony game again. A basic 3rd party router cost wise is about £40.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.