Menu
StonkerP
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

PS4 disconnected during online gaming

Hi,

My son has a Sony PS4, which he tries to play online. Irrespective of the game. he gets disconnected after varying lengths of time, usually anywhere between and 5 and 15 minutes. I've spoken to Sony but because there is no error code displayed they say it is nothing to do with the PS4 but is likely to be something to do with the ISP and / or router settings. They recommended using a wired connection but that's not possible because the PS4 and router are in different parts of the house. Has anyone experienced anything similar and / or got any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS4 disconnected during online gaming

Wired is always best for gaming as a constant connection is needed and wireless is easily disrupted by external factors.

One option might be power line adapters.  These use the electrical wiring in your house to create a wired network without the need for long cables.  They are rarely as fast as the manufacturer's claim but are a lot more stable (if the wiring in your house is OK) and less prone to interference than wireless.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/18-best-powerline-adapters-2016-uk-3490638/

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The SH is rubbish at NAT / uPNP when in router mode.
I don't suffer from this at all in modem mode.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 200Mb VM service with SH2 AC in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-N66U router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Glitch33
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I agree with Scott.

I was getting fed up with my (adult) son complaining about his PS4 wireless connection and him regularly resetting router and SH.

He finally agreed to spend some money improving the connection.

The best option is wired connection from PS4 direct to the router but not easy to run the cable.

I got him to buy a Poerline device - TP-Link AV500 TL-WPA4226KIT(UK) for £49 from PC World. It uses your household electric sockets to create a WiFi extender and provides 2 Ethernet ports. Supports speeds UP TO 500mbps.

Easy to set up. It cloned the WiFi connection and boosted the signal in his bedroom and immediately improved speeds, and by cabling it to the PS4 and swapping to LAN cable connection there were further improvements.

All stable and no more moaning (for the time being).