Menu
Dray1991
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

New vivid gamer customer.. bad experience

I just want to say for the first week, my gaming experience was the best I've ever had, simply perfect. Then randomly after a week or so, it has gone dire/unplayable. My download and upload speed are the same as is my ping, nothing else has changed. Iam experienced and have enabled DMZ etc, opened all necessary ports for the game I play. The only thing I can think of is that virgin have either put me on traffic management, or have changed some other setting. Any ideas guys? Thankyou in advance Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
stormfury2
Superfast
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: New vivid gamer customer.. bad experience

Hi Dray,

For what it is worth using DMZ to allow you to play games is like using a sledge hammer to crack a nut. It's imply overkill.

I do however accept that the SH3 (which is what I imagine you have got) isn't the best at network so would advise using the SH3 in modem mode and then using a good router to handle all the other networking tasks such as DHCP/Port forwarding and so on. A properly configured router with port forward/UPnP should eliminate the need for using DMZ completely. For instance I have my devices behind a Linksys WRT1900ac that is doing all the NAT, port forwarding and so on, with it configured correctly I have good gaming experiences on PC, PS4 and XB1 (NAT 2 for PS4 which just means your PS4 is sat behind a NAT device that is configure correctly, Type 1 being directly connected to the internet with no NAT and Type 3 being behind a NAT device that isn't correctly configured).

Apologies if you feel this is something you already know but it's better to start from the beginning when troubleshooting these issues.

Set up a Broadband Quality Monitor here and that will highlight any issues during certain times of the day etc, make sure your gateway responds to ICMP/anonymous traffic otherwise you'll just get a solid red graph as it will be dropping the pings.

There's also a thread relating to SH3 performance because of the chipset it uses. That is worth a quick read too.

0 Kudos