Menu
mazinelo22
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Low download speeds and high ping

I have a 60mb broadband package and for 2 weeks now after 4pm on each day. I've been getting very low download speeds and high ping whenever I wanted to game, but cant because the ping is so high to the point my games are unplayable. I would really appreciate it if I can get some assistance

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Low download speeds and high ping

Slow speeds only at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends) is normally a symptom of high utilisation/contention in your area. Somebody from the VM forum team should be along in a few days to check your connection and can confirm if there is a known issue with your segment of the network. If that is the case they will provide a fault reference number which you can quote to customer services to get money off your bill for the lack of service. They should also be able to provide a review date for the fault. Note that it is a review date not a fix date.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Low download speeds and high ping

Hi mazinelo22, 

Firstly, let me give you a warm welcome to our forum community!

Thanks for posting about your slow download speeds after 4 pm everyday, I can appreciate this must be frustrating so apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I've had a look at the connection from this end and I can see there are 2 issues currently affecting your connection, The first is that all of your downstream power levels are a lot lower than is preferred. In order to resolve this issue we would need to arrange for an engineer to visit and make the necessary changes.

I'll send you a separate PM (Purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required to proceed with making the booking, it would be great if you could reply to me there and I'll ensure this all gets booked and resolved for you.

The second issue is that your area cable seems to be having some load trouble, especially during the peak time. We're planning to undertake some upgrades to parts of our external network in your area in order to combat this.

The upgrades will be to improve bandwidth and performance during the peak hours. The reference number is F003618197 and is currently due for a review around the middle of April. Should you wish to bump the thread in the mean time we'll gladly take a look for you to see if there's any progress updates.

Speak soon, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos