Menu
Jakegiles
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

I keep disconnecting from Xbox live but this doesn't occur on no other device

I am constantly getting disconnected from Xbox live then instantly reconnected, I'm spending 50+ pound on games that I can barely play as I only really play multiplayer, I've contacted both virgin and Xbox and nothing has been done, nothing they suggested works. The super hub is too far away for me to have wired. Is it possible to have another modem in another room in the house that I can wire up to. please someone help.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: I keep disconnecting from Xbox live but this doesn't occur on no other device

Wireless is never the best option for gaming, as even if you get a stable connection there will be more lag due to the nature of wireless technology.

Wireless is easily disrupted by a number of external factors so it is not something VM can control or guarantee, no ISP can.  The VM hubs, like all free ISP routers, are basic devices that for some people are fine but for others not so much.  The only thing VM will suggest is trying different wireless channels, they have a guide here.

There is also a post with good advice here:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/Getting-a-better-Wireless-Network-Signal...

Two modems is not an option but power line adapters could solve your problem.  These use the electrical wiring in your house to create a wired network without the need for long cables.  They are rarely as fast as the manufacturer's claim but are a lot more stable and less prone to interference than wireless.  Some powerline adapter reviews here:
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/20-best-powerline-adapters-2016-uk-3490638/

Another option to improve your wireless is with a third party router.  It is what I and many other customers do and it can make a huge difference.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.