cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 and hub 5 gaming online

mitch84
Fibre optic

Hi

I currently have a hub 3 in modem modem and use my own router, I remember a while ago lots of talk about the high latency on the hub 3 due to the puma chipset.

Anyway not been following the talk on the hubs for a long time, I’m just curious if the hub 5 has fixed that issue at all?

Would it make a difference to me if I’m in modem mode anyway on my hub 3, I’ve just recently signed up to vm again on the m500 package so don’t think I’m entitled to hub 5 yet though, but I’m interested non the less.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hub's 3 and 4 use an Intel Puma Chipset.  The Hub 5 does not.  Modem mode does not make any difference as far as a chipset is concerned.  I have had both the Hub 3 and Hub 5 in modem mode, and the BQM differences are very small, with the Hub 5 just showing better.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@Adduxi wrote:

Hub's 3 and 4 use an Intel Puma Chipset.  The Hub 5 does not.  Modem mode does not make any difference as far as a chipset is concerned.  I have had both the Hub 3 and Hub 5 in modem mode, and the BQM differences are very small, with the Hub 5 just showing better.

Thanks thats good to know, I doubt I could get the hub 5 anyway, but would be good if I could, seems like its reserved for 1gb subs though.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

It's entirely possible that any latency problems you are experiencing are due to the VM network rather than to the chipset. A BQM trace would show you what is happening. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

@jpeg1 wrote:

It's entirely possible that any latency problems you are experiencing are due to the VM network rather than to the chipset. A BQM trace would show you what is happening. 

I haven't noticed any issues, I was more curious on if the issue ever improved with the newer HUBS.

Client62
Legend

I haven't noticed any issues - Then don't do anything that could break that situation & cannot be rolled back !