Menu
itinfocus
On our wavelength
Message 511 of 2,642
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 / Compal CH7465-LG (TG2492LG) and CGNV4 Latency Cause

Totally agree that it's likely to be a very long time before any update is available to rectify this. Especially for Virgins customers.

The fact that Intel look to be playing hide and seek with the fix is also not encouraging.

If you look at the history of the issue the first reported problems were with ICMP ping which was patched to obfuscate the problem. Then reliable UPD DNS tests were developed. The latest beta firmware does admittedly do a good job of resolving that issue but when users do more digging the underling two second stutter is still present.

The Hub 3 (Puma 6) is quite honestly just not fit for purpose and I have an ever stronger suspicion that it wont be until a Hub 4, hopefully with a Broadcom SoC, that we finally get a reliable connection again.

It would be so much easier if customers could connect alternative modems as is common practice in the US. I'd love to put this behind me by just doping a few quid on a modem that actually works. 

itinfocus
On our wavelength
Message 512 of 2,642
Flag for a moderator

qpop wrote:

So, how do we go about starting a class action in the UK for rolling out a known-to-be-buggy modem. Are we protected under the sale-of-goods act?

More to the point, why has Virgin decided to stop allowing users who are concerned to roll back to the 2ac? Very frustrating as a new customer!

Don't think the UK class action type suits are designed to address this type of issue. From what I can see looks to be more focused on consumer price protections.

Some more info Here if you want to read up and let us know.

0 Kudos
dcookster
Superfast
Message 513 of 2,642
Flag for a moderator

Forget any communication or fix from Virgin Media it won't happen.  I must have posted a dozen times "The communications company that don't communicate"

This and other issues were noted during the beta test but the SH3 was rolled out full of known bugs.

The SH3 is not fit for purpose, the SH4 is the only hope.

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 514 of 2,642
Flag for a moderator

itinfocus wrote:

Not looking good based on the following:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/04/11/intel_puma_6_arris/

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31353608-

I can understand that this is outside of virgins ability to fix directly but do have two areas of disbelief. Why do they refuse to admit that a problem exists when it's so widely documented and for gods sake why can't they issue a replacement hub 2ac until its resolved.

i work from home and use am dependent on both VPN and VOIP services that are seriously impacted by this bug.

Do virgin have any beta program available to test the partially resolved issues? If so how do I sign up?

They don't make hub 2's anymore and eventually stock of those will cease, at this point the hub3 is what we're likely to get as replacements, hopefully they have a decent hub4 in development that will solve these issues, or better yet, they ditch the whole hub idea and just make a rock solid standalone modem and just issue decent routers not coated in VM firmware, like they used to do with the old motorola modem and netgear WNR2000 routers

rio_w
On our wavelength
Message 515 of 2,642
Flag for a moderator

Has anyone been successful in acquiring a Hub2ac? I really am at wits end with the Hub3.

0 Kudos
Datalink
Up to speed
Message 516 of 2,642
Flag for a moderator

wotusaw
Superfast
Message 517 of 2,642
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info. Makes very depressing reading. I only wish Virgin would communicate with the community about this issue.

I see no info posted here from Virgin at all. Am I wrong? Have I missed a post of theirs on this subject.

The very, very worst thing you can do is keep silent. Look at this post for example.....it's 52 pages long!

It's not going to go away.....ever.

Face the demon, Virgin. Let us know what's going on....please.

shanematthews
Super solver
Message 518 of 2,642
Flag for a moderator

wotusaw wrote:

Thanks for the info. Makes very depressing reading. I only wish Virgin would communicate with the community about this issue.

I see no info posted here from Virgin at all. Am I wrong? Have I missed a post of theirs on this subject.

The very, very worst thing you can do is keep silent. Look at this post for example.....it's 52 pages long!

It's not going to go away.....ever.

Face the demon, Virgin. Let us know what's going on....please.

What would you want them to say?

Even if they acknowledge the flaw in a piece of equipment they were provided there isn't a lot that can be done, they won't have stock of Hub2's and they won't order them in, they won't pay to swap out hub3's and there isn't a standalone modem option for them to try and offer either, i mean they know there is an issue and they will be doing all they can to fix it, the problem is there isn't much they can do, they can't make a fix arrive any sooner than it does, and any money spent on that will be a waste, its a better idea to start looking for a manufacturer for the hub4 and hope that it avoids the puma6 chipset, outside of that the owners of hub3's are pretty much boned, they won't allow 3rd party modems on the network so even if you were to buy a suitable device you couldn't use it

0 Kudos
bambamboyo
Up to speed
Message 519 of 2,642
Flag for a moderator

Hurry!
0 Kudos
wotusaw
Superfast
Message 520 of 2,642
Flag for a moderator

shanematthews said:

"What would you want them to say?"

The smug answer to that would be............Anything at all.Smiley Happy

However, I see your valid points and concur.