Menu
GingaMilla
Tuning in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Constant disconnect when online on xbox one

I am trying to game on my Xbox One but after 5-10mins or so i keep getting disconnected and then goes to my dashboard, then my xbox re-connects. This has only started to happen since I have got my new router. I have read on a few sites it could be something to do with ports need forwarding but I have tried that for a fair few of my games but the problem just keeps on happening. 

Is there anything I can do to make the connection stable on my xbox. Gaming online on my PC seems to be working fine so has to be something on my xbox. I am on wifi if that helps at all.

Craig.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Constant disconnect when online on xbox one

Hi Craig

Wired is always best for gaming as a constant connection is needed and wireless is easily disrupted by external factors.  Have you tried a wired connection, just a diagnostic test, to see if it helps?

If distance is too great for a permanent wired connection, then one option might be power line adapters.  These use the electrical wiring in your house to create a wired network without the need for long cables.  They are rarely as fast as the manufacturer's claim but are a lot more stable (if the wiring in your house is OK) and less prone to interference than wireless.

Some power line adapters reviewed here: 

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/18-best-powerline-adapters-2016-uk-3490638/

Best to try a wired test before going to the expense of buying power line adapters as if wired is still bad then it could be the poor UPNP support in the VM hub that is the issue.  If that is the case then a third party router and the hub in modem mode is the best solution.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos