cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battling daily packet loss issues, getting nowhere with support

gergy008
Joining in

I've put this in gaming support as it does affect me most during online games. I'm on 500Mb, a "free" upgrade for taking out an O2 sim card (although that's a completely other topic, that we were literally blackmailed into taking out)

We've been battling daily packet loss issues with our connection for over a few years, with waves of good and bad. The truth is, we realistically have no other options for an ISP. Virgin Media has a complete monopoly in my area, with CityFibre or Openreach being completely uninterested in supplying FTTP here and unable to supply VDSL due to the pole being "too unsafe", even though it's a popular, built-up, suburb area.

Every day, at some point, the connection will go bad. There's two categories for this: Extreme packet loss making gaming completely impossible, or the more wide-reaching midnight-ish drops that seem to affect everyone on Virgin media (not just me, "RTC connecting" in discord or "No route" is a dead giveaway for this). This post is concerning the former, the extreme packet loss.

I thought I'd share my networking setup to help diagnose this, but I do not get any packet loss issues when pinging within my network to the Hub 3 directly. Although it does seem to suffer issues where part of the router will stop working, whether that's the online interface, one of the wifi bands, or something else unusual. We've complained, had it replaced, Virgin media is outright unwilling to provide the hub 4 unless we upgrade to 1gig.

I've got a fairly hefty PC, connected directly to the router via CAT 6. This ethernet cable is approx. 20m unshielded but doesn't appear to suffer any interference- test within the network pass with no issues at all - completely uninterrupted. The speed of this connection is 1gig, configured with a static IP.

Here are my current router power levels taken WHILE experiencing packet loss:

gergy008_4-1691344357404.pnggergy008_5-1691344361927.pnggergy008_6-1691344364396.png

Packet loss in question:

gergy008_7-1691344408295.png

Also pinging locally - no issues other than 1 high packet response time

gergy008_8-1691344434782.png

Nothing usually relevant ever appears in the log to any of these issues, just DHCP stuff - but this time I got something I recognise (time on the router is 1h behind):

06/08/2023 17:54:21Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=ac:f8:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=f8:b7:xx:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Here is a number of results from different days from ThinkBroadbands monitor:

Today (now):
gergy008_14-1691345026435.png

Friday 4th:
gergy008_10-1691344707041.png

Thursday 3rd:
gergy008_11-1691344737762.png

Wednesday 2nd (Seemed to affect the whole virgin media network):

gergy008_1-1691345255266.png

Monday 31st July:
gergy008_13-1691344863413.png

I just can't deal with the virgin media phone line, no offence, but if you work for the Virgin Media customer support lines I've probably not spoken to you. The tier 1 triage or whatever it is is shocking. The amount of times I've been pitched to be sold 1gig internet to fix this is insane. They're failing to recognise I have a genuine problem - even if I show them these graphs there's no chance they'll know what's going on. I can never, ever be escalated to someone who knows what they're talking about. This has been going on for years. I got really close with someone and I had some dude come around and replace my hub 3 but it doesn't solve the packet loss problems 😞

Please help.

Edit: accidental IP slip

BQM
17 REPLIES 17

gergy008
Joining in

gergy008_0-1691345338275.png

Enough to boot me out of games. Especially when there's ~1 ping a second, 45 minutes of pings with over a minute of downtime is a joke.

BQM

Client62
Legend

Virgin media is outright unwilling to provide the hub 4 unless we upgrade to 1gig

You sure you really really what a Hub 4 that contains a noisy fan ?

Plus mixed 3.0 + 3.1 DOCSIS connections typically have quite worst Latency and Jitter of all.

We can't get Openreach - They won't install a line 😞

BQM

Fan, fine with. I can throw a noctua in there.

Mixed docsis 3.0/3.1 I'm not familiar with - will 500mb not work over 3.1? Why does it have to be mixed?

BQM

Hi gergy008,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

Sorry to hear you're having some connection issues, I've had a look at things from our side and everything seems to be within the specifications we would expect at the moment. 

How's your BQM looking currently? 

Alex_Rm

Is it normal to have this many post and pre RS errors? There's thousands. 
Today hasn't been that bad, but the day isn't over - I'm expecting packet loss to hit between 9pm-11pm unless the entire network goes down again at midnight

gergy008_0-1691437840354.png

BQM

Morning gergy008,

As it's been a little while since the hub was rebooted, could you please do this and report back on how the hub logs are looking?

Alex_Rm

gergy008
Joining in

I'm restarting now, but it won't fix this issue. It's been happening for years, we've restarted it hundreds of times. I'll probably get back to you in a few days with an update.

Here's before the restart - shocking really

gergy008_0-1691515486547.png

BQM

Please do keep us updated gergy008,

Alex_Rm