Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 1 of 57
Flag for a moderator

Virgin.net email issues - please read.

Hi

First off let me start by saying I don't work for Virgin Media .  I've been looking at some issues with Virgin.net addresses that appear to have started over the last day or so.

What I know.

1. The virgin.net email addresses SHOULD still be valid where users have a broadband account.  Virgin Media have not deliberately withdrawn the domain.

2. There appears to be an issue with the virgin.net domain itself that I have asked Virgin Media to look into urgently.

3. Until the issue is sorted users can expect the following.

• Mail client access will not work.  The imap, pop3 and smtp server addresses are not currently pointed at the Virgin Mail platform.
  • Web mail will work if you use mail.virginmedia.com and log in with your virgin.net username and password.  You will be able to send mails.  BUT
  • You won't be able to receive mails until this issue is fixed as the inbound mail servers are no longer pointing at Virgin.  Senders sending mail to virgin.net email addresses will see the email address bounced - most likely with invalid address or something similar.

As I don't work for Virgin Media I can't give an estimated fix on this.  But I have raised this in our Super Users Forum and my post has been acknowledged.  I'm hoping Virgin will put something more official up later.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 45 of 57
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin.net email issues - please read.

nickwilcock wrote:

Came home yesterday to find my virgin.net e-mail system now working AOK again - many thanks for that.

But, as has been written, when something like that happens, it really should be shown in the 'service status' tab.  'Some virgin.net e-mail users may be experiencing difficulties; our engineers are aware of the problem and expect service to be back to normal by (nn:nn)' wouldn't have been unreasonable?

Here's my thoughts.

1. I totally agree with your comments.  I raised this with Virgin Media in order to get the issue looked at ASAP.  I would have thought that with an issue with the domain Virgin would have checked and at least posted something official.

2. Looking at some information in this thread, it does appear that the domain only lapsed for a few hours.  HOWEVER Virgin's own DNS cached that lapse for far longer than was necessary.

3. I started this thread with the express intention of keeping customers informed.  I believe Virgin Media are missing a trick with the amount of secrecy.  While I respect some of it is necessary in a competitive marketplace, staying silent when you know you have an issue is not beneficial to your company or your customers.

I'm glad to see everything's back up and running.  But I wish it hadn't taken so long to resolve.

Ravenstar68

All Replies
jamese_uk
Tuning in
Message 2 of 57
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ravenstar.

Thanks so much for your help and the time you have already spent on this issue. It is much appreciated.

I, along with quite a few others I suspect, will monitor the community with interest.

James.

nickwilcock
Up to speed
Message 3 of 57
Flag for a moderator

My e-mail status is:

I can receive my virgin.net e-mails using the webmail system

I cannot send or receive virgin.net e-mails using Outlook 2007.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 57
Flag for a moderator

Given the nature of the issue this is expected.

0 Kudos
scott4534
Joining in
Message 5 of 57
Flag for a moderator

Did someone forget to pay the bill?

http://mail.virgin.net/ "virgin.net expired on 11/01/2016 and is pending renewal or deletion."

Scott.

0 Kudos
veryolduser
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 57
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks. I have noticed I can collect imap emails on my phone but can't send other than web mail.
0 Kudos
nickwilcock
Up to speed
Message 7 of 57
Flag for a moderator

When can we expect to hear something OFFICIAL from Virgin?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 57
Flag for a moderator

nickwilcock wrote:

When can we expect to hear something OFFICIAL from Virgin?

To be frank - I'm disappointed that they haven't already responded. 

@Jen_A @James_W - would anyone like to comment?

In the meantime email clients should be able to connect to the following servers

Incoming.

pop3.virginmedia.com - port 995 SSL
imap.virginmedia.com - port 993 SSL

Outgoing.

smtp.virginmedia.com - port 465

Username is your full virgin.net email address.  And SMTP authentication for outgoing MUST be turned on.

This will allow you to send and receive using email clients.  But as no one can send TO a virgin.net address you will most likely find there are no new emails on the system since 10th Nov

Ravenstar68

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 57
Flag for a moderator

Hi ravenstar68 & everyone else who has reported this,

Apologies for the disruption to the virgin.net mail servers - I have flagged this up for further investigation and shall post an update as soon as I have one.
I believe this issue was actually raised & closed last night, so I'll find out what I can about that and shall let you know.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime and ravenstar thanks for your work on this and for flagging it.

Jen
Forum Team

Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 57
Flag for a moderator

Update -

there has been a change to the Whois record for virgin.net since I checked this morning.  So the domain appears to have been updated.  However because of the way DNS works, it will take a few hours for the changes to work their way through the system.  Although I think it should be back to normal in less than 24 hours.

Ravenstar68