Menu
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Virgin.net Email Down

Can't send or receive anything tonight from or to our virgin.net email accounts. 

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
glynnpt
Joining in
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin.net Email Down

I seem to have that problem as well. Messages not going to Thunderbird. Tells me server times out. Using the web browser it just keeps telling me there is a new email.  Not much point in ticking the "email me when someone replies! Anyone know anything?

0 Kudos
Made_in_Hudds
Joining in
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I'm unable to send email from a virgin.net account.  I've reported this to virgin media.  They acknowledge the problem and say it is due to a corrupt database used by many email accounts including ours.  Virgin Media say that they are working to fix the problem but are unable to estimate when it will be resolved.  So the problem continues.  This is a loss of a key service. I've logged a complaint.

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

The problem is still persisting this morning, nothing being sent or received by my virgin.net email account. I don't know whether the smtp.virgin.net server is down or VM have killed our virgin.net email addresses.  I am seriously annoyed as I need this address urgently at the moment.

My alternative @virginmedia.com address seems to be working ok.

Electron
0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Email down 03.jpg

Electron
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

It would be helpful if you could have told us whether the address is still accessible via VM web mail? The error you are seeing helps a little and is often the symptom of a temporary fault with the server. But we may need to go further with the diagnostics. The web mail information would be a good start.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
jamese_uk
Tuning in
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi there.

I have the same problem, and there seems to be another thread in the forum suggesting they too are suffering.

I can view my e-mail via the VM Webmail facility via Firefox, but Outlook will not pull the messages through.

According to the Service Status page on My Virgin Media, there is "1 Problem that they are aware of in my area" and this is to do with Webmail and "Intermittent Access" which they have an "Estimated Fix Time of 1600 11/11/16"

My old Virgin.net address was attached and transferred to my Fibre Broadband account when Talk Talk took over National by doing a "Move & Transfer" so it is not an orphan account. To be fair, I guess that the fact it can be seen on Webmail means that it still exists so that should, I hope, be some comfort.

If anyone can shed any light, I am sure that there are a few of us out there who would be grateful.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

HowardML wrote:
It would be helpful if you could have told us whether the address is still accessible via VM web mail? The error you are seeing helps a little and is often the symptom of a temporary fault with the server. But we may need to go further with the diagnostics. The web mail information would be a good start.

Morning Howard.  I have just done a test send from webmail and it downloaded ok in WLM to my @virgin.net account and messages from other senders also now are getting to my WLM inbox although I have no way of knowing if all of them are ... still can't send a message from WLM though.

Electron
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I want to see how the SMTP server is responding to a send" from your PC. We could do a traceroute but because of recent past issues something a little more complex should be tried. Please look at the instructions in this thread to log details of a trial send in WLM and post the single line result we are after. No more details than this please. They are unnecessary. Ignore the rest of the thread - just follow the guidance on logging. OK?

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Authentication-Problem-Can-t-Send-Emails/td-p/3238143

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@ModTeam

Can you guys take a look urgently?  Somethings not right - the DNS lookups don't pan out and a whois lookup on the virgin.net domain itself is a little alarming.

Name
NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.
Whois Server
whois.networksolutions.com
Status
Important Dates
Expires On
2017-11-01
Registered On
1995-11-02
Updated On
2016-11-10
Name Servers
Similar Domains
Registrar Data Make Private
Registrant Contact Information:
Name
PERFECT PRIVACY, LLC
Organization

Address
12808 Gran Bay Parkway West
City
Jacksonville
State / Province
FL
Postal Code
Country
US
Phone
Email
Administrative Contact Information:
Name
PERFECT PRIVACY, LLC
Organization

Address
City
Jacksonville
State / Province
FL
Postal Code
Country
US
Phone
Email
Technical Contact Information:
Name
PERFECT PRIVACY, LLC
Organization

Address
City
Jacksonville
State / Province
FL
Postal Code
Country
US
Phone
Email

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.