Menu
pikestaff
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media bill send to spam!

I fairly constantly have to mark legitimate messages as "not spam", but the spam filters hit a new low today when I found my bill from Virgin Media in spam. I'm flagging it here in case others have the same problem.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media bill send to spam!

@ForumTeam

Can you take a look at this.  If this OP is finding the bill in Spam, then how many customers who haven't changed their settings are getting the bill rejected with "Spam content found" ?

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi pikestaff,

I'm honestly sorry about this though glad that you discovered where your bill had been delivered to. Thank you for posting this with a view to helping others.

I shall be feeding this back and would like the below information if that's OK:

Thanks once again Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
pikestaff
Tuning in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I mostly look at my email via Thunderbird, but I have Thunderbird set to send nothing to spam and it is Virgin who did that.

My webmail is set to send all spam messages to the spam folder, and that is where I found it.

PS apologies for the late response.  I did not receive email notification of your reply until this evening!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

You've done all you can with your spam settings. Good. You have the right setting so that you don't lose mail through VM's awful, incoherent and inconsistent spam filtering. If your Thunderbird system is set up to use POP to collect mail you don't see the web mail spam folder nor will Tbird download anything from it so it doesn't matter what your Tbird spam settings are. Tbird/POP will only work on you inbox.

It's all completely mad. My VM bill notifications don't get treated as spam. Why is it happening to you? Only VM and perhaps the Almighty know, but I bet even he would be defeated by VM.

Now the long delay in getting Forum notifications is not unexpected. The cause is unknown. But there is currently a persistent problem with some VM mail deliveries causes by another incoherently used anti-spam measure called rate limiting.

Oh dear!

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

With Thunderbird you may wish to set your spam Setting to Flag a message as SPAM but deliver to Inbox, then use Thunderbird's filters to move received emails marked as <SPAM> from the inbox to SPAM folder but excluding those being wrongly flag as spam. Be aware though that:

• Thunderbirds spam folder will need to be checked for false positives and the filters modified as needed
  • from time to time webmail will need to be used to clear the inbox because Virgin Media's implementation of POP does not delete downloaded emails from the mail server.

However, no email system should require this much work and it maybe time to consider looking for an email provider better suited to your needs.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

If I understand this reply correctly it involves ensuring that mail identified as spam by VM's filters goes into the web mail inbox. That will mean that some spam gets rejected at source. It runs counter the advice that we are giving that the only safe spam setting is to direct mail identified by VM to the spam folder. There will be false positives but it does stop mail going missing because it is invisibly rejected by the spam filters at VM's end.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

AFAICS, the only difference between the two is that one place spam in the spam folder and the other marks the spam by prefixing the subject with the text <SPAM>.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

You might be right. We have tested the system and the only setting that reliably lets correctly and erroneously identified "spam" through is the setting that I and ravenstar68 recommend - mail identified as spam to spam folder. With the VM mail system in the state it is in I place my money on a sure bet, not a risky one.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

用心棒 wrote:

AFAICS, the only difference between the two is that one place spam in the spam folder and the other marks the spam by prefixing the subject with the text <SPAM>.

You're right, but Virgin are supposed to be instituting IMAP reporting as well.  So if spam is incorrectly placed in the Spam Folder, moving it to the INBOX in Thunderbird is SUPPOSED to train the filters as to what you want to receive, as is moving spam delivered to the inbox to the spam folder.

I can only speak for my blueyonder account.  I have been seeing mail that has been formerly misidentified as spam being delivered to my inbox over the last few days.  Spam on the other hand has been correctly identified for at least a month now.  I have seen a false positive from ThinkBroadband today, so it's hard to say for sure that the filters are definitely learning.  However I still believe delivering mail to the spam folder is the better of the two options.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.