Menu
rob_mcc
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Sudden plague of Phishing / Spam messages

I  have received about 30 suspicious emails.

They claim to come from reputable sources like Amazon, John Lewis, Tesco etc. but when you inspect the sender address its often:

contact@cron-job.org (10 times)

contactesa@aprimo.com (8 times)

Given they are not who they are pretending to be and they offer a link to click on,  I treat them as potentially malicious.  Whatever they are doing it is not reputable.

Have made net reports to Virgin media but that doesn't stop them.

What is the best way to deal with them? UK govt  Action Fraud only want to know about this stuff if a crime has happened - but for that to happen I would have to be daft enough to click on a malicious link.

Given how persistent these Phishers/Spammers are it must be easy for someone to catch them or at least block them?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 32
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Sudden plague of Phishing / Spam messages

If you haven't fallen into the scammers trap you can still use the action fraud site to report the attempt.  https://reportlite.actionfraud.police.uk/

Edit: There may already be a neighbourhood watch scheme set up for you area, if so, do please join it.  If not then why not set one up so you can help expose these and other scams with your neighbours. http://www.ourwatch.org.uk/knowledge-base-category/how-to-get-involved/

scouser73
Superfast
Message 11 of 32
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Unfortunately, the Spam filters used by VM email are useless and I'm sure you'll keep on receiving those emails.

What I have done is to have my emails forwarded on to a Gmail account, as their Spam filters are far better.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Regards,

scouser73

152 Mbp/s Broadband - Windows 10 [Home] -
Ubuntu 17.10 - SuperHub 3.0 - Nokia 5
liverpool0548
Tuning in
Message 16 of 32
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Weirdly, after re-setting up a 'containing' rule for contactesa and redirecting to the SPAM folder it seems to be working. So, in addition to spending hours manually re-directing spam that hits the inbox to the SPAM folder, I'll spend the rest of the time creating new 'containing' rules. The crazy thing is that Microsoft Outlook diverts pretty well all this rubbish to Junk E-Mail. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 19 of 32
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

rob_mcc wrote:

Just noticed why one of my bespoke spam filters wasn't working. It says "Apply rule if all conditions are met" and I mistakenly had more than one condition.

Am now ensuring I set up a separate spam filter for each common spammer email component (up to SPAM9). Lets see if they work.

(VM - could do with a single filter where you could add a list of the email address components I want to ban.)

They already do.  Just edit the rule and change it to 'Apply rule if any condition is met' by clicking on the small arrow head to the right.

rules.PNG

cybmole
Community elder
Message 31 of 32
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

A lot of spam uses constantly changing random sender names so rather than block those, use keyword rules to detect & delete stuff.

e.g. if you don't need a p***s enlarger, and don't wish to discuss that with friends and family either, add a rule that permanently deletes any email with that phrase in the content.

when I was using blueyonder mail, I had my anti spam rules in office 2007 which allows for rules  like

if..... then permanently delete except if sender is in address book, so that friends and family mail was not filtered.

phrases like "Alert!"  or " account suspended" trap a lot of phishing 

Nowadays I just use gmail instead. Gmail is smart enough to filter out all of that crap with no intervention on my part.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 32
Flag for a moderator

I would suggest you continue with the action fraud route. I have made reports via this route without actually having fallen for the fraud.

The trouble is though that most of these fraudsters hide behind compromised accounts, and/or work from territories out with the reach of the UK and other national security agencies.
rob_mcc
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Just tried action fraud, but the questions were definitely for instances where money has been lost and a fraud has definitely occurred. The submission results in a crime number. Its not designed for reported suspicious emails and it was was difficult to submit relevant information.  There needs to be a facility to point out suspicious email activity.  Also pretending to be somebody else (like Tesco, Amazon etc.) in an email needs to become an offence.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 32
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you haven't fallen into the scammers trap you can still use the action fraud site to report the attempt.  https://reportlite.actionfraud.police.uk/

Edit: There may already be a neighbourhood watch scheme set up for you area, if so, do please join it.  If not then why not set one up so you can help expose these and other scams with your neighbours. http://www.ourwatch.org.uk/knowledge-base-category/how-to-get-involved/

rob_mcc
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, that link is to a much more appropriate system than I was using.

rob_mcc
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 32
Flag for a moderator

I am still getting spam/phishing emails from contactesa@aprimo.com despite moving them all into Spam.

How can I block this (and other) specific email addresses given Spam filtering doesn't seem to be working?

Have looked at my Spam settings but cant see anything to help there. Mine are set to default.

0 Kudos
liverpool0548
Tuning in
Message 7 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Also seen a recent increase in phishing spam and marking them as spam doesn't stop them, even though the same sender is repeated many times (e.g.contactesa@aprimo.com).

Why is it that Microsoft Outlook picks these up straight away (without even having to block them), but Virginmedia's email application is incapable of detecting them ?
0 Kudos
rob_mcc
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Now getting phishing mails "from" Paypal and HMRC.  The latter had an attachment it wanted me to open claiming it was a statement of the VAT I owed.

Looks like Virginmedia's shields are down.  Tried reporting it by phone to Virginmedia but got an indifferent response.

0 Kudos
brentrobbo
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I've had the HMRC 'VAT is owed so please open the attachment for full details' rubbish. Why are these suddenly getting through, Virgin?

0 Kudos
rob_mcc
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Forwarded that one to ******@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk who confirmed it was a scam under investigation.

I am not receiving phishing and scam emails in my other mailboxes, just in my Virgin Media one.