Menu
pwvn16
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Spam content found

On 27th Sept. I sent 31 Emails containing a Club newsletter. 7 were returned undelivered with "Spam content found". These are not Spam and are sent out monthly. Can you please help.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Spam content found

This is my advice - don't worry about the technical detail, Focus on what you need to do to alleviate the situation. 

Advice for sender and Virgin Media customers

554 – 554 5.2.0 – “Spam content found” error message. This error message from the Virgin Media incoming or outgoing mail servers results, in my view, from a systemic and  persistent problem with how the servers filter for spam. This is despite being aware of it for many months after the 2015 migration to their current e-mail platform. Resolution or alleviation lies with Virgin Media.

The spam filters are too sensitive. They do not properly discriminate between legitimate e-mail from reputable senders which gets rejected, and spam which gets through.

All kinds of mail senders are affected. This includes bulk mailers,  businesses sending out order confirmations, schools, voluntary societies, the NHS  and individual Virgin Media customers.

The company mostly attributes this error to badly configured mail servers or which do not meet Virgin Media’s exacting requirements for server set up.  We have seen a recent example of a properly set up server, signing e-mail correctly which has experienced this issue. So this cannot be a satisfactory explanation of the problem. Other e-mail providers have systems which do not behave this way. They successfully balance the expectation that legitimate e-mail will be delivered while minimising spam or ensuring that it is consistently delivered to a spam/junk folder. The Virgin Media system should but does not achieve this.

Virgin Media customers who experience this error when they send run-of-the mill  mail clearly cannot be at fault. They have no control over how Virgin Media’s mail servers are configured.

This advice is designed to help senders and Virgin Media customers to manage the issue.  Not all of it will apply in your case so you need to read it carefully and take what you need.

Advice for external senders

Reputable senders of e-mail to Virgin Media domains cannot be confident that their mail will be delivered.  It may be marked as spam and delivery refused. Much depends on how recipients have set their spam settings in web mail.

Virgin Media wish to handle such instances on a case-by-case basis. Senders should therefore post the 550 error message and an anonymised copy of one of the bounced e-mail headers in their thread. 

Virgin Media Forum team staff will get round to your post and will advise, after consulting with the company’s postmaster, what changes , if any, you should consider making  to your e-mail sending system.  This is not a quick process, given the number of posts and the load on the postmaster’s team.

These changes may include making sure your SPF, rDNS and mail signing protocols ( e.g DKIM) are set up correctly. It may also involve  removing from mail signatures URLs that do not point back to the originating domain or ensuring that any URLs in the title or the body of the text do not refer to sites that are associated with sending spam (blacklists may need to be checked – MX toolbox is a useful tool here).

Senders might feel that they should inform their customers of the risk that their mail will not be delivered to Virgin Media e-mail addresses. Customers could be advised follow the guidance below; most importantly the guidance on their spam settings.

Advice for customers

Individual customers who get the 550 error on outgoing mail should follow the advice above. Virgin Media will want to see what is happening when their servers reject run-of-the-mill e-mail.

Virgin Media customers who want to stop the majority of erroneous rejections of incoming e-mail by the spam filters must follow the proven advice here:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ravenstar-s-Email-FAQ-s/m-p/3026118#M129705

The mail will end up in the web mail spam folder.  This is not ideal but at least the mail gets through. I made this change immediately at migration to the present system because I was not happy with the Virgin Media default settings which were to reject all spam. It has proved to be the right decision. It will be for you as well.  I have pushed for Virgin Media to adopt the advice as the default spam setting. They have indicated this is under consideration.

Customers using POP to collect their mail through an e-mail client will need to visit their web mail regularly to check their spam folder and move mail erroneously marked as spam (click the e-mail to select it and click on the “not spam icon”) to their  web mail inbox folder so that their client can download it.  This is what I do.

Customers using IMAP will be able to see their web mail spam folder in their mail client. They will be able to sort their mail without visiting their web mail account. The act of moving mail from the main from the spam folder to the inbox will automatically mark it as “not spam”. It will also help to train the infant spam filters and help them to be more discriminating – according to Virgin Media.

If you know the e-mail address of a particular sender then add that address to your web mail contacts will in effect mark the sender as a safe sender and the mail will end up in your web mail inbox and in your e-mail client  where it belongs.

Virgin Media e-mail users may feel that they should move all or part of their e-mail to a third party non-ISP linked mail provider to avoid this and other issues. That is a decision only they can make, but it is widely accepted as the right thing to do, not just because of this issue. I increasingly use my third party web mail provider as my main e-mail address to ensure resilience of my e-mail transactions. 

Disclaimer

Superusers are generally not Virgin Media staff. Virgin Media do not approve or endorse my advice. This advice is given on the basis that I accept no personal liability (explicit or implied) as to its accuracy or safety.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

This is my advice - don't worry about the technical detail, Focus on what you need to do to alleviate the situation. 

Advice for sender and Virgin Media customers

554 – 554 5.2.0 – “Spam content found” error message. This error message from the Virgin Media incoming or outgoing mail servers results, in my view, from a systemic and  persistent problem with how the servers filter for spam. This is despite being aware of it for many months after the 2015 migration to their current e-mail platform. Resolution or alleviation lies with Virgin Media.

The spam filters are too sensitive. They do not properly discriminate between legitimate e-mail from reputable senders which gets rejected, and spam which gets through.

All kinds of mail senders are affected. This includes bulk mailers,  businesses sending out order confirmations, schools, voluntary societies, the NHS  and individual Virgin Media customers.

The company mostly attributes this error to badly configured mail servers or which do not meet Virgin Media’s exacting requirements for server set up.  We have seen a recent example of a properly set up server, signing e-mail correctly which has experienced this issue. So this cannot be a satisfactory explanation of the problem. Other e-mail providers have systems which do not behave this way. They successfully balance the expectation that legitimate e-mail will be delivered while minimising spam or ensuring that it is consistently delivered to a spam/junk folder. The Virgin Media system should but does not achieve this.

Virgin Media customers who experience this error when they send run-of-the mill  mail clearly cannot be at fault. They have no control over how Virgin Media’s mail servers are configured.

This advice is designed to help senders and Virgin Media customers to manage the issue.  Not all of it will apply in your case so you need to read it carefully and take what you need.

Advice for external senders

Reputable senders of e-mail to Virgin Media domains cannot be confident that their mail will be delivered.  It may be marked as spam and delivery refused. Much depends on how recipients have set their spam settings in web mail.

Virgin Media wish to handle such instances on a case-by-case basis. Senders should therefore post the 550 error message and an anonymised copy of one of the bounced e-mail headers in their thread. 

Virgin Media Forum team staff will get round to your post and will advise, after consulting with the company’s postmaster, what changes , if any, you should consider making  to your e-mail sending system.  This is not a quick process, given the number of posts and the load on the postmaster’s team.

These changes may include making sure your SPF, rDNS and mail signing protocols ( e.g DKIM) are set up correctly. It may also involve  removing from mail signatures URLs that do not point back to the originating domain or ensuring that any URLs in the title or the body of the text do not refer to sites that are associated with sending spam (blacklists may need to be checked – MX toolbox is a useful tool here).

Senders might feel that they should inform their customers of the risk that their mail will not be delivered to Virgin Media e-mail addresses. Customers could be advised follow the guidance below; most importantly the guidance on their spam settings.

Advice for customers

Individual customers who get the 550 error on outgoing mail should follow the advice above. Virgin Media will want to see what is happening when their servers reject run-of-the-mill e-mail.

Virgin Media customers who want to stop the majority of erroneous rejections of incoming e-mail by the spam filters must follow the proven advice here:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ravenstar-s-Email-FAQ-s/m-p/3026118#M129705

The mail will end up in the web mail spam folder.  This is not ideal but at least the mail gets through. I made this change immediately at migration to the present system because I was not happy with the Virgin Media default settings which were to reject all spam. It has proved to be the right decision. It will be for you as well.  I have pushed for Virgin Media to adopt the advice as the default spam setting. They have indicated this is under consideration.

Customers using POP to collect their mail through an e-mail client will need to visit their web mail regularly to check their spam folder and move mail erroneously marked as spam (click the e-mail to select it and click on the “not spam icon”) to their  web mail inbox folder so that their client can download it.  This is what I do.

Customers using IMAP will be able to see their web mail spam folder in their mail client. They will be able to sort their mail without visiting their web mail account. The act of moving mail from the main from the spam folder to the inbox will automatically mark it as “not spam”. It will also help to train the infant spam filters and help them to be more discriminating – according to Virgin Media.

If you know the e-mail address of a particular sender then add that address to your web mail contacts will in effect mark the sender as a safe sender and the mail will end up in your web mail inbox and in your e-mail client  where it belongs.

Virgin Media e-mail users may feel that they should move all or part of their e-mail to a third party non-ISP linked mail provider to avoid this and other issues. That is a decision only they can make, but it is widely accepted as the right thing to do, not just because of this issue. I increasingly use my third party web mail provider as my main e-mail address to ensure resilience of my e-mail transactions. 

Disclaimer

Superusers are generally not Virgin Media staff. Virgin Media do not approve or endorse my advice. This advice is given on the basis that I accept no personal liability (explicit or implied) as to its accuracy or safety.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
pwvn16
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks HowardML.

Due to the number of recipients I think I will Gmail any returned Emails in the future, at least until their Spam filter is modified.

Best Regards, PWVN16.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Actually that is quite useful. I think I will modify my advice accordingly.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos