Menu
cmcfarren1
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Spam Content Found Bounce

We have 2 clients unable to get email delivered to the following domains. 

ntlworld.com
blueyonder.co.uk
talktalk.net
virginmedia.com
tiscali.co.uk
vingin.net
plus.com

************, sending domain email.plumbworld.co.uk 

Shared IP's - sending domain email.ukflooringdirect.co.uk

We have looked at your guidelines and both UK clients are following them.  Can you tell us what we can assist the clients with to get emails delivered to the users that opted in?

5.1.0 fjPabR805QUFi Sorry, we...ve identified a number of outgoing emails from your email provider as spam so we haven...t been able to send your email to its intended recipient. Please try again later or using an alternative email address. For more information visit our help article (link: help2.talktalk.co.uk/i-cant-send-or-receive-emails) (TT406)

554 5.2.0 eYHF1t00A1ZxWQ501YHGrJ Spam content found (ntlword.com)

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cathie

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Spam Content Found Bounce

Read this and wait for further advice:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-Spam-Content-Found-error-550-554/td-p/3229831

and you'll have to deal separately with Talk Talk for the non-VM domains in your posts (TT and Tiscali). VM can't help!

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello Cathie

Welcome to our forum, I am sorry you are having problems emailing our domains. We are presently taking steps to deliver suspected spam email to our customers rather than bouncing it, this will allow them to decide on its legitimacy and then update our filters, more information here Spam Folder Settings Change 

It may take us a few weeks to fully implement but once done fingers crossed it will hopefully sort your problem, if not do let us know and we will be happy to investigate further.

Thank you for your patience

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
Wrock
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Senders reporting these issues have two problems:

1) The messages are being bounced back because Virgin Media set the default setting on all accounts to reject messages returning them to the sender instead of delivering spam to the spam folder.  I understand from this statement

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Spam-Folder-Settings-Change/td-p/3267458

that a rolling process across accounts which began on November 28th will change those with the inappropriate default setting which rejected spam back to the sender to accept it to the spam folder.  That is an excellent improvement and should cut down on the massive number of reports of spam false positives and "Spam content found" errors Virgin Media has been handling one-by-one in an extremely painful, slow, expensive and ineffective process during the past year.  

2)  However, the sender in this thread is reporting that their opt-in messages are being marked as spam.  Does Virgin Media intend to address that issue?  Professional senders expect Virgin Media to have a moderately fast and well-oiled private process to manually correct errors when the filtering marks legitimate email as spam.  

Since Virgin Media seems to have a high false-positive rate on spam detection as evidenced by the long list of legitimate emails the spam filtering has captured since August 2015,

http://wardinewrock.blogspot.com/2016/05/legitimate-emails-blocked-to-virgin.html

Virgin Media is going to need to address this second half of the issue as well.  It is not enough to tell the professional senders that their legitimate messages, marked as spam, are now being delivered to the spam folders.  That goes without saying.  It is only remarkable that Virgin Media was not doing that for the past year!  Many senders are going to want their transactional and opt-in messages not to be marked as spam, especially if the same messages are not being marked as spam by the large professional email providers such as Yahoo!, AOL, Gmail and Microsoft.

Virgin Media is at last starting to head in the right direction on this issue.  Please pay attention to all aspects of the problem.  

-Wrock.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello Wrock 

To address your second point:-

2)  However, the sender in this thread is reporting that their opt-in messages are being marked as spam.  Does Virgin Media intend to address that issue?  Professional senders expect Virgin Media to have a moderately fast and well-oiled private process to manually correct errors when the filtering marks legitimate email as spam.

The most common cause of that we find is because too many recipients have marked emails as spam despite being opted in. Once the spam folder change has been fully implemented if senders are still having problems we will happily investigate them on an individual basis as often the feedback and advice is bespoke.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos