Menu
SouthWaleschris
Rising star
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Robot feature will not allow me to login

I setup a new email address yesterday and all went well.

Now when i attempt to login i put all the details in, click i am not a robot and sometimes it shows me pictures and i go through all this just to have an error message saying to click i am not a robot and its going around in circles and i cannot login to the account.

Please can someone help me.

Thanks.As the old saying goes... Im only trying to help!!..

Where ever you maybe.... Let your wind go free!

"So in retrospect the best cable to get is cat6e"
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Robot feature will not allow me to login

You are using Windows 10 I believe.

If you are using Edge, try Chrome instead - or vice versa.

Or you could just clear out cache and cookies - (I had more than 100 VM cookies in my browser when I checked yesterday)

Why do I need to "clear cache and cookies?" in my browser.

Why do we ask you to do this? -

To deal with issues like “Forbidden” or getting stuck in a never ending loop of “robot” or “three dots” when accessing Virgin Media (web)Mail.

One of the most frequent steps in problem resolution is to clear the cache and cookies from the browser. It’s understandable why this might come over as only a slightly more technical version of "have you tried turning it off and back on again?" - but it isn't! It's actually an important first step for almost any troubleshooting procedure.

The Cache

This is a tool used by your internet browser to speed up the page loading process. Any element that appears on multiple pages within a single site - for instance, the image file representing a site's logo - will be placed in the browser's cache. This is really just a local folder on your hard drive that stores a copy of frequently-accessed page resources. Because it's faster to load an image from your hard drive than it is to download it from a remote server, the browser just goes back to the cache every time it needs to display the logo when you surf to a new page. This saves not only the time needed to download the image file, but it also conserves network bandwidth. Caches are a very effective way to make browsing the web faster, more convenient and less aggravating.

Cookies

These are also files which are saved on your hard drive. Instead of representing content that's displayed on a website though, they represent settings selected by the individual person who's using the browser. For instance, if a user browses to a website, signs into their account, and selects the "remember me" option, then the next time the user visits that site, they won't have to type in their username - the site will 'remember' it because the user's preference to do so was written into a 'cookie' file that was saved on their computer's hard drive. Any time a site asks a user to select preferences, there's a good chance those preferences will be saved in a cookie.

The Wikipedia definition says -

Cookies are arbitrary pieces of data, usually chosen and first sent by the web server, and stored on the client computer by the web browser. The browser then sends them back to the server with every request, introducing states (memory of previous events) into otherwise stateless HTTP transactions. Without cookies, each retrieval of a web page or component of a web page would be an isolated event, largely unrelated to all other page views made by the user on the website. Although cookies are usually set by the web server, they can also be set by the client using a scripting language such as Javascript (unless the cookie's HttpOnly flag is set, in which case the cookie cannot be modified by scripting languages).

The cookie specifications require that browsers meet the following requirements in order to support cookies:

• Can support cookies as large as 4,096 bytes in size.

• Can support at least 50 cookies per domain (i.e. per website).

• Can support at least 3,000 cookies in total.

So why is it sometimes a problem to keep the cache and cookies around? Because sites change and develop over time. When a site is updated, the files saved in the cache may conflict with what's actually coded into the website. As a very simplified example, consider a file called "VM-logo.jpg" in the cache. Obviously it will represent the logo for the website - VM in this case - but what happens if the website undergoes a redesign? The NEW logo is also saved to the site with the file name "VM-logo.jpg," but since the original version of "VM-logo.jpg" is already stored on the user's cache, the browser may not be able to tell the difference. It could very well detect that the site calls for "VM-logo.jpg" and return the cached version of the OLD image instead of the new one downloaded from the server. Similarly, data that's stored in a cookie can rapidly become outdated when a site is modified. If the site changes the location of a piece of data within a cookie, retrieving data from “Field 5” may produce the wrong answer if it picks it up from an old cookie (and I know that website coders should check the version of the cookie first – but many of them do not). If your browser can store up to 3000 cookies, including multiple versions of the cookies from your most-frequently-accessed sites, it’s easy to see how the wrong version of a cookie can be picked up.

Depending on what files are stored in the cache for a given website, caching errors can be fairly broad in scope. If a logo file is cached, the error could be limited to simply displaying outdated content. But if one of the files that controls “how the website operates” is cached, then the end user can see some unexpected, strange behavior. The length of time that a file remains in the cache varies; some browsers have controls allowing users to dictate how long cached files are kept around before the browser decides they're outdated and need to be refreshed.

Having a user clear their cache and cookies when we are troubleshooting an issue is a way to ensure that we're seeing the same version of a website as the person we're working with, rather than the version modified by a multitude of different cookies lying around in the user’s cookies folder.

How do you clear your cache and cookies? Instructions for individual browsers all differ so Google them thus – “Clear xxx browser cache and cookies”.

If anybody claims - “I haven’t changed anything since date X”, they are almost certainly mistaken because if they have logged into practically ANY website since date X, then at the very least they will have picked up a new cookie or two.

0 Kudos