cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovering an Old Email

snake1605
Tuning in

Hi,

I recently browsed the boards on Virgin Media as I want to see if I can recover an old email.

I was able to verify that the email is still active and posted on another thread for assistance but I have heard no response from Virgin.

Please contact me so that this can be resolved.

Kind regards,

Michael

7 REPLIES 7

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

If the email address is still active then you should still be able to use it with the password.  Is it linked to a current Virginmedia broadband account? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Hi, 

This email was a secondary email for an account that was closed I believe. Since that point this email has been inaccessible through the usual means but I recently saw that some, if still active, might be recoverable.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

From what you say it's very likely the email account is closed.Why do you think it's still 'active'? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

TableTop
Up to speed

Often what happens is that when a customer leaves VM, after 90 days or so the ‘user account’ associated with the mailbox gets deleted. In theory this should, also trigger a deletion of the mailbox and email address itself, but this doesn’t always happen. In this case the mailbox will still accept email addressed to it (so it appears to be ‘live’), if you set up any email forwarders, then these will still work and send email to another address, as they are a feature of the mailbox.

The problem is that without a related user account then the mailbox is effectively orphaned out and can’t be accessed, sometimes the account has simply been disabled in preparation for deletion and in this case then, yes, sometimes it can be reactivated on a temporary basis.

But if the account has been deleted, then I’m afraid it is game over, VM won’t create a new account for you (and, be fair, you are not a customer, nor paying them, so why would they?), and without an account with the appropriate permissions for that mailbox, then it simply isn’t accessible.

At the very best, a member of the VM team, when they get to this thread, will offer to contact you by personal message to get further details and do what they can to expedite the full deletion of the mailbox.

Thanks for the information, I was told something similar elsewhere and then directed to a tool to check if it was live. It appeared to be live when I checked it. The main account holder is also still a paying customer so I was hoping it could be associated with their account. I'll just have to wait for a response from virgin.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

That's more hopeful. But VM will only deal with the account holder, so you'll have to get them to make contact. 

- jpeg1

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi, snake1605.
Thanks for taking the time to post on our help forums and sorry to see we've missed your previous posts and haven't responded. 😞 
We'd normally take from a few hours to 2-3 days to get back to all user posts, depending on how busy our forum staff is.

We'd love to assist with the issues you're facing regarding an ole email account, to be able to to this we need to know a bit more.

Could you please advise if the account holder where the email account is registered, would be able to contact our team at 0345 454 1111 or any other of our contact methods seen here to request recovery (unfortunately, this is an account holder only action)?
Just to clarify, they can also contact our forums, creating their own user account if preferred and we'll pick this up. 🙂

Also, as the email is still active we do have a way to assist with restoring access however this would depend on further checks we do together (with the Account Holder).
Can you please expand on what happens when trying to access your email account and if you get an error message or code when trying to log on?

Lastly, you may have a read here where we advise more on email management and see if any of the info there helps with changing the email password or correcting your email settings (if using a client App) so you can gain access back to it?
Would the account holder be able to assist with the steps as it requires access to the VM account online too?

Let us know more and we're eager to best help out.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs