Menu
cunnith
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 123
Flag for a moderator

Recent delays in receiving emails

I use 123-reg to forward emails sent to my private domain to virginmedia and to gmx.  I send them in parallel to two destinations because of previous problems with mail not reaching virginmedia.  Usually both arrive together.  On Thursday 4th August, three emails which arrived in my gmx box did not arrive at virginmedia (not even in the spam folder).  Over the following days, these have arrived in my virginmedia mailbox, the last arriving at 8.31 today (8th), more than three days after it was sent.

Any ideas what might have caused this?  I can send the headers privately if that would be useful.

JudePlouviez
Joining in
Message 2 of 123
Flag for a moderator

Re: Recent delays in receiving emails

I have had very similar problems over the last week, with many of Thursday and Friday's emails to my ntlworld.com address via 123.reg still turning up this morning and delay messages going out to senders. I checked with 123Reg and they suggest the problem is at Virginmedia:

I've checked the email logs and it seems that the delay is due to the destination address settings for ..........@ntlworld.com.
From my end, I can see that there is an issue with the current MX records. 
I would recommend getting in touch with your mail provider for further assistance

So I would welcome help on this, as I am a long-term customer and would much prefer to remain so.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 123
Flag for a moderator

It's all much simpler than this - I suspect. VM have introduced rate limiting from IP addresses that they regard are sending spam. It is an excellent deterrent to spammers but the severity of the limiting is impacting on genuine e-mail recipients. VM say they have looked into this and have corrected the issue. But I have seen posts which indicate this may not be the case. Both of you - wait here for a VM Forum Team member to respond. Will take a couple of days.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
ERY
Joining in
Message 4 of 123
Flag for a moderator

I have also had the same problem since Friday on emails forward by 123reg

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 123
Flag for a moderator

Hi All, 

Thanks for getting in touch. I am sorry to see you have all been having the same issue. 

Please pop me a header from one of the delayed emails and I will be happy to take a further look into this for you. If you are getting the header from Virgin media webmail take a look here.

Send them to me via PM to keep any personal details safe. 

Many thanks

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 123
Flag for a moderator

Hi cunnith

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly I have popped you a reply to you via PM. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
ERY
Joining in
Message 7 of 123
Flag for a moderator

I think the problem has gone away now, or at least it's much reduced

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 123
Flag for a moderator

Hi ERY, 

Thanks for getting back in touch, I am glad to see things have been looking better for you now. 

If you do start to have trouble with it again let me know and I will be more than happy to take a look for you. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

0 Kudos
ERY
Joining in
Message 9 of 123
Flag for a moderator

I'm afraid I spoke too soon - the problem continues. Irregular delays in emails - some arrive more or less on time, some are delayed for hours, some disappear completely. Interstingly when emails are sent overnight or early morning they seem to arrive on time, which suggests this is also related to the overall volume of email being fowarded from 123-reg to Virgin?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 123
Flag for a moderator

Hi ERY, 

Thanks for getting back in touch, I am sorry to see you have started to have trouble again, please pop across the headers of the delayed mail across to me via PM and I will take a further look into this for you. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

0 Kudos