cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems accessing VM emails on Live Mail on Windows 8.1

Sticks
Dialled in

Since Monday 15 April I have been unable to download either my Blueyonder email or my virginmedia.com email on my Windows 8.1 laptop using Windows Live Mail 2012. I can still download those email addresses using Windows Live Mail 2012 on my Windows 10 laptop, which is currently at 22H2. The settings on Windows Live Mail for both the Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 machine are identical.

If I try and download my Blueyonder email on my Windows 8.1 laptop I get this error

Unable to send or receive messages for the Blueyonder.co (g.stickings) account. Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity.

Server: 'pop3.virginmedia.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F
Protocol: POP3
Port: 995
Secure(SSL): Yes

Any clues why this should be and what the fix might be?

Can someone refresh me what the manual POP3 settings should be to download and send Blueyonder or virginmedia.com emails?

9 REPLIES 9

planecrazy
Dialled in

This has been going on for a couple of days on two or three threads.  No action from the moderators for some reason.  It's not only Live mail, it's outlook and Thunderbird.  I wouldn't do anything like changing passwords or anything.  They have obviously let the cleaner into the server cupboard!  Hopefully this will be resolved like previously when we all had a similar problem.

Has this just been affecting Windows 8.1 or other versions of Windows?

I'm using windows 7 and experiencing the same problem as you.

Windows 7 Pro using Windows Live Mail and also Thunderbird.  I tried another computer with Windows 10 on it with Thunderbird but that has the same issues.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@planecrazy That is odd as Thunderbird does work with the latest TLS 1.3 version even on a Windows 7 pc.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hey @Sticks Thanks for reaching out to us on the Virgin Media forums. 👋🏼

I'm so sorry to hear about the issues you are facing in relation to the email services. 😢
Does the email in question work on any other devices that has Windows 8.1 version OS on there?

Or is it just the one device which is not working?

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Graham, you are correct I have a computer in the shed (Windows 7 Pro) running Thunderbird which has been fine from the start.  I'll have to do some experimentation with the one in the house which has Windows Live Mail 2012 and Thunderbird on it.  I'll get back to you if I find anything.  Regards.

I have one 8.1 laptop and one Windows 10 23H2 laptop, both on Windows Live Mail 2012. I also have an EE mobile phone with Aqua

The only device that this is not working is the solitary Windows 8.1 laptop with Windows Live Mail 2012.

I note that others on this forum seem to be having similar if not identical issues.

Hello Sticks.

Thanks for getting back to us.

We are aware of an issue with accessing emails on Live Mail.

This has been reported to the relevant team and we are just waiting for an update.

As soon as we hear anything back, we will let you know.

Gareth_L