Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Making Waves
SteveyT
Helpful Answer

POP3 email setup fails for Outlook 2010 - Windows 7

Recently got Windows 7 64bit PC (with SP1), and Office 2010 including Outlook.

PC is running Norton Internet Security 2012.

Also only recently moved to VM as email provider and am trying to get my new Outlook set up to access the VM Pop3 mail.

Have checked basic email setup has POP3 enabled in account settings.

Can log in to my email account through web access, and am sending receiving emails through this method  so userid / password info is known and working.

When I load Outlook 2010 and manually configure the email account as per the info. from my account and the instructions on this forum, both tests at the end of the setup fail with the following messages:-

+ Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your
 user name and password for this account in Account Settings.  The server responded:
 -ERR [AUTH] Username and password not accepted.

+ Send test e-mail message: Cannot send the message. Verify the e-mail address in your
 account properties.  The server responded: 530 5.5.1
 http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?answer=14257 g12sm2363626wiw.10

I have checked the username and password against the VM email settings and they are the same.

I have tried disabling all Norton security functionality (both firewall and email message protection) by turning these modes off for 15 mins. with no change in the message received when I re test.

I have tried running with and without the SSL setting for both Pop3 and SMTP.

Can anyone suggest what I might have missed?  or more actions that I could take?

Please use plain text.
Omniscient
slated

Re: POP3 email setup fails for Outlook 2010 - Windows 7

[ Edited ]

does your setup look like this:

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/web/custom/viewArticle.jsp?uuid=D78BA863-ACDB-47E4-908B-282144054...

Note that the port numbers, SSL, and authentication are not the Outlook defaults, so allowing Outlook to automatically set up the account will fail - you need to tick the box to manually configure when you create a new account:

Capture.JPG

If you have already created the account and it is not working, then you need to edit it so that it follows the above linked settings.

Note that throughout 'User name' will be your full VM email address, even if you have changed your webmail/MyVM username.

The clips below are from Outlook 2007, hopefully not too different from 2010:

Email 1.JPG

Email 2.JPG

Email 3.JPG

If you still get errors try resetting your password via My Virgin Media, even though the password may be working in webmail

Making Waves
SteveyT

Excellent...thank you!!    it was as you suggested the need to change the password in My Virgin Media (even though this was working fine with web access!!).

Once I had done this the Outlook 2010 account setup completed and tested fine.

I don't know how long it would have taken me to have worked that out, so many thanks for your help

:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Omniscient
slated

[ Edited ]

SteveyT wrote:

Excellent...thank you!!    it was as you suggested the need to change the password in My Virgin Media (even though this was working fine with web access!!).

Once I had done this the Outlook 2010 account setup completed and tested fine.

I don't know how long it would have taken me to have worked that out, so many thanks for your help

:smileyhappy:

That keeps cropping up, and it is a real pig. You know your password is correct, tripple checked, it even works in webmail ergo it must be correct, so you pull your hair out looking for the non-existant error in the config, or just report "didn't work for me" (aaargh - I hate that!). And all because VM seems to keep multiple database records of the same data item and is happy for them to drift apart somehow.

Glad your persistence paid off!

Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
Benjamin_T

Hi SteveyT,

I am glad that your issue has now been resolved thanks to the advice provided by slater.

If you have any more issues please let us know and we will be happy to help.

I work for Virgin Media but my opinions are my Own
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
spadino

My hair thanks you whilst in it's death throes on the floor, where it now lays after being ripped from my head!
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
lea12

Dear Advice Giver

Thank you thank you. Spent an hour with a Virginmedia techie from 10 - 11 p.m. last night who did his best to configure my virgin media e-mail account in Outlook but failed. I searched today and found your posting /advice followed it and it solved the problem in less than 5 minutes once i had found the advice. Perhaps the Virginmedia help line techies need to be advised of this solution - the guy really tries and got part way there with changing a few of the settings, correctly as I can now see, but obviously was unaware of the full solution.

Thanks so much and I did not even post the orginal question. Please note, I use Outlook 2007 and Windows Professional so your solution worked for Outlook 2007 as well.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
Trevor-Parsons

Many thanks,

After spending ages redoing the settings etc., then speaking with tech support for another huge portion of time and still getting nowhere – changing the password worked.

Again much Kudos to you.

Please use plain text.