Menu
MarkFFisher
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 54
Flag for a moderator

POP3 - deleting emails from the server

This morning's message announcing the new Virgin Media email says " it's really important that your client leaves a copy of the message on the server".

But surely it's not really important if you don't want email left on the server. I prefer to delete it and keep control of everything on my email client. Is that so wrong?

Now, as far as I can tell, although my email client is set to delete email from the server, it is staying there anyway. Is there a way I can automatically delete it as before?

Thanks for your help.

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 54
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: POP3 - deleting emails from the server

Hi Mark. Two things.

Your e-mail client, if using POP3, should be set to leave a copy of mail on the server so that you can view your mails on both your e-mail client and via web mail should you need to. Clients do wrong and you need a back up.

When you decide to delete an e-mail from your client it should, of course, delete from web mail. But there is a known issue on the new platform which is not allowing this to happen. VM are working on it. In the meantime you may have to go into web mail and delete manually.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 28 of 54
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

r8gos wrote:

Can I get an update on how are you getting on with resolving this problem?

VM posted a statement on 17 December 2015 regarding this.  They are not intending to resolve it. http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email-Cloud-and-webspace/POP3-Behaviour/m-p/2994032#U2994032

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 54
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Mark. Two things.

Your e-mail client, if using POP3, should be set to leave a copy of mail on the server so that you can view your mails on both your e-mail client and via web mail should you need to. Clients do wrong and you need a back up.

When you decide to delete an e-mail from your client it should, of course, delete from web mail. But there is a known issue on the new platform which is not allowing this to happen. VM are working on it. In the meantime you may have to go into web mail and delete manually.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
MarkFFisher
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, Howard. That makes sense.

Personally, I prefer the cleanness of having only new emails on the server. The duplication would just get confusing (not to mention depressing to see all those old emails), though I can see why some people would prefer to see the same thing on all devices. 

I've got Time Machine doing back-ups, so I'm covered in that respect.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 54
Flag for a moderator

It's how I work too. But I think you mis-read me a bit. It is only new mails that I wish to see on my PC through my e-mail client. And it is the same new e-mails that I wish to see when away from home on my tablet via web mail. Simple and clean way of working (at least for me).

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
MarkFFisher
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like we're doing much the same thing. I have the email client on my desktop computer set to automatically delete emails from the server after downloading, but if I'm using my laptop or my phone I leave them on the server. 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Not quite. I leave all mails on the server until I delete them from my client or from web mail if using my tablet. We do what suits us best. Have a good rest of the weekend. And coping with a clogged up web-mail!!

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
John_Gray
Superfast
Message 7 of 54
Flag for a moderator

I agree with the OP!

My Modus Operandi is to download messages onto my PC and into Outlook, at which point they are deleted from my Webmail InBox and moved into Webmail Trash, where they can be looked at there when I'm away from home. Eventually I delete the truly unwanted messages from Webmail Trash (or they automatically disappear after the limit period - 14 days, is it?) .

If my PC is not on, or I don't have Outlook started, the messages remain in the Webmail InBox, until I next run Outlook.

NOW in the brave new world of Virgin Media Email, even though I have NOT ticked the box in Outlook which says "Leave a copy of the emails on the server", it still DOES leave a copy of emails on the server, in InBox.

I hope the bug is fixed soon, so that leaving copies of messages on the server, or not, works as designed!

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 54
Flag for a moderator

John_Gray wrote:

Snip

I hope the bug is fixed soon, so that leaving copies of messages on the server, or not, works as designed!

So do I, but I doubt the fix will be in place 'soon'.

astalker
Tuning in
Message 9 of 54
Flag for a moderator

I agree entirely. I would like to manage the deletion of emails myself.

I have an imap setting on my ipad - I only expect to see messages on that I haven't already seen in Outlook. But I'm getting the whole lot, and having to go through them deleting them.

I want my PC with Outlook to be the master controlling everything. Please, Virgin, make this work the way it is intended.

sggaunt
Tuning in
Message 10 of 54
Flag for a moderator

I see the same thing, POP3 is set to delete messages from server, but it doesn't, Ending up with loads of copies of mails all over the place (I have more than one PC) Needs putting back how it was.