cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook e-mail error (0x800CCC1A) :

MikeBernard
Joining in

Was working fine until yesterday but now getting the following error message when I try to send an email from Outlook using my virginmedia.com account 
Task 'Bernard - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC1A) : 'Your server does not support the connection encryption type you have specified. Try changing the encryption method. Contact your mail server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP) for additional assistance.'

45 REPLIES 45

knighthawk
Tuning in

Managed to get it working, but only as IMAP, steps below.

1) IISCrypto and enabled all protocols.

2) Removed my previous pop3 and smtp account from outlook 2010.

3) Added a new account and let Outlook discover the settings.

At first it errored, saying it could not connect using encrypted connection, and asked to try an un-encrypted connection, of which I said yes and it setup the IMAP and I now can send and receive email.

Not Ideal but at least it is working.

I added a rule to the IMAP Account and this now moves anything inbound to my Outlook folders.

Robbijay
On our wavelength

I'm trying to fix this on behalf of my father with his old BY email account and having no luck so far. last night it was telling me/him that his encryption was wrong (on outlook 2016) today it's telling me on my machine (office 365) that the logon credentials are wrong, after I went through changing his VM login to a gmail address he never uses, so i could reset the app password. Looks like I now need to log into outlook with the standard imap/SSL settings and his BY address but the app password.....

except I can't get the app password because i don't have his phone on me for MFA, becasue i'm not him! Guess it shows why MFA is necessary!

Hi Robbijay thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

Sorry to hear that you're having issues getting your father's email to work on outlook and for any inconvenience caused.  Have you been able to follow the advice offered by knighthawk?  And if so, what has been the outcome?

Regards

Lee_R

Robbijay
On our wavelength

Well, despite being an IT admin for almost 20 years I’ve never heard of IIScrypto so I’ve not followed that bit, but I’d already tried with different encryption methods etc on his machine and it didn’t work

I tried setting an account for him on my PC and rather than encryption complaints it said the log in details were wrong (potentially the app pw) and because of MFA, I can’t get any further without taking my laptop to his house to play with his phone (far to complicated to try and talk him through it over the phone)

Regarding 0x800CCC1A error:

I'm already using IMAP and my email has had this fault for a week or more now (I've changed nothing to cause this).

I was using imap.virginmedia.com as incoming mail server -> changed this to imap.ntlworld.com - now working.

On the outgoing side I was using port 465 and SSL -> changed it to 25 None - now working.

Prior to this problem it has been working fine with the settings as they were.  I really don't know what VM have been doing (they do!) but it's causing a lot of headaches for their 'customers'   Just thought I'd pass this on in case it can help some others

Robbijay
On our wavelength

are you using a vm or ntlworld email? Didn't work here with his normal password.

Robbijay
On our wavelength

got it to work on my Windows 11 machine with Office 365 straight away with the app password. Still no joy on my dad's Windows 7 computer and Office 2016 though. Can't believe Virgin do this without telling anyone. Its ridiculous.

@Robbijay  I use an ntlworld.com email address on (among other things) M$ Outlook 2010.  You can always try webmail if you're desperate to send/receive mails, it's also useful to verify email/password combo.

The email has not been the same since they subbed it out to gmail

Robbijay
On our wavelength

And just like that…. Outlook asked for a password today. Typed in the new app password I created and set up four days ago and it all started working again!

Hi Robbijay

Thanks for your update. We're pleased to hear the issue has now been resolved for you 😊

Hope you have a great weekend.

Beth