Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Making Waves
DragonHert

Iphone 4S and Ntlworld.com email hassle ?

Hi,

Hope someone can help this is driving me nuts....

Just got a Iphone 4S but cant for the life of me set up my ntlworld email on it.

PLEASE if anyone has the right settings i would be grateful.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Omniscient
slated

Re: Iphone 4S and Ntlworld.com email hassle ?

[ Edited ]

sending

• smtp.virginmedia.com
  • port 465
  • SSL on
  • authentication = password

receiving

choose IMAP or POP3

details here:

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/web/custom/viewArticle.jsp?uuid=D78BA863-ACDB-47E4-908B-282144054...

use full @ntlworld.com email address and password for logon username and authentication

Captain Clued-Up
PatrickF

Hi DragonHert,

Can you confirm if you are still having problems after using the settings given by slated?

Kind Regards,

Patrick

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
sukhysingh

Hi all,     

The process for ntl world customers is as follows;

1) You must change your password on your ntl account for email as if it is too old it will not allow you to set up access via another device. (this deals with the issue I had of the account username and password not being recognised. Do this via my virgin media or call tech support at virginmedia.

2) The incoming mail server setting are pop.ntlworld.com, your full email address, your password. The port is 110. SSL OFF

3) The outgoing server setting are smtp.ntlworld.com wih port number 25. SSL OFF

4) The iphone tries to set up an imap account when you first enter your details. This will fail so use the pop tab and the above settings. This worked for me within seconds!!!!

Sukhy

Please use plain text.
Omniscient
slated

sukhysingh wrote:

Hi all,     

The process for ntl world customers is as follows;

1) You must change your password on your ntl account for email as if it is too old it will not allow you to set up access via another device. (this deals with the issue I had of the account username and password not being recognised. Do this via my virgin media or call tech support at virginmedia.

2) The incoming mail server setting are pop.ntlworld.com, your full email address, your password. The port is 110. SSL OFF

3) The outgoing server setting are smtp.ntlworld.com wih port number 25. SSL OFF

4) The iphone tries to set up an imap account when you first enter your details. This will fail so use the pop tab and the above settings. This worked for me within seconds!!!!

Sukhy

Take the above advice with some caution. The port numbers listed by VM are smtp = 465, pop = 995. Also SSL on for both.

However, whilst the quoted non-VM port numbers, with SSL off, might work as well, what won't work is trying to send mail over smtp.ntlworld.com via a mobile phone (unless connected via home wifi).

Smtp.ntlworld.com does not use authentication (as yet) therefore it is limited to working ONLY from the home VM internet connection - not much use on a mobile (or even a laptop away from home, etc)

The actual M.O. for setting up the config may be helpful however (I don't have an iPhone...)

Fresh as a Daisy
Quacker1964

@ Slated

I'm new to these forums, specifically to try and address this issue.  I've an ipad (2 if it makes any difference) which works fine and continues to with the original settings.  When I replicate or attempt to replicate them for the iphone, they do not work/fail verification.

I've tried googling, and seen lots of posts etc. but no combination seems to work for me (I've spoken at length with both VM and Vodafone as well as visiting an Apll store to rule out phone problems).

Any suggestions - i appreciate you don't have an iphone yourself. On the plus side, at least I can receive emails at present, just not sent/reply which suggests the problem is with the outgoing of course.

Has VM changed something in the last weeks or so to create this problem?

Please use plain text.
Omniscient
slated

the smtp.ntlworld.com server works only via a mome VM connection, not via any other (like a 3g connection on a phone, for example). So if you have configured your iPad using smtp.ntlworld.com to send email that will work at home, but the same settings will not work on your iPhone (unless connecting via wifi at home).

The smtp.virginmedia.com server will send from any connection. Stick to using the virginmedia servers and you should be OK. Settings are here:

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/web/custom/viewArticle.jsp?uuid=D78BA863-ACDB-47E4-908B-282144054...

You must enable authentication for smtp.virginmedia.com to work (this settings is not required for smtp.ntlworld.com). Also be sure all the port settings and SSL are as shown.

From all I can gather on these forums iPhones are a beach to set up for email - the phone seems to want to do everything automagically for you and hide all the settings from you, so when it selects the wrong settings automatically you have to find out how to get under the bonnet: this might help:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/How-to-set-up-email-on-iPhone/m-p/779449#M35654

Making Waves
DazzaT

I seem to have a simlar issue and have used the differing settings as listed.

The phone gets stuck 'verifying', it then asks if I want to set up using SSL. When I bypass this it continues to be stuck 'verifying'

Any ideas would be appreiated.

Please use plain text.
GRH
Making Waves
GRH

I can confirm that using pop3.virginmedia.com port 995 SSL on and smtp.virginmedia.com port 465 SSL works and worked for me first time. I had been struggling with this for weeks and neither Vodafone or Virgin were able to assist.
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
DazzaT

Worked first time! Thanks for taking the time to post the answer, greatly appreciated.

Please use plain text.