Menu
davedevelopment
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Email delivery to Virgin Media, NtlWorld etc

Hi there

I'm the CTO of Childcare.co.uk and I wondered if someone could get in touch to see if we can discuss email deliverability. We're getting a considerable number of complaints from our customers about them not receiving their notification emails.

I've had a quick look through other threads and found http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Spam-Content-Found-error-message/td-p/3027097. We comply with most of those, but some of them aren't really possible.

We use Amazon's SES to send our transactional emails and therefore can't use a consistent IP and can't create reverse DNS records.

We use link tracking (through our own software on www.childcare.co.uk) which might look like cloaking and I guess we could remove it, but it's a valuable tool for us and most other ESPs don't seem to mind. 

We don't plan on setting Precedence: bulk, these aren't bulk emails but are transactional emails triggered by activity on our customers account.

I don't have access to the full headers of the outgoing emails or the SMTP exchange, but I do have a couple of examples of the email addresses we're sending to and the "Spam content found" error responses.

Regards

Dave M

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email delivery to Virgin Media, NtlWorld etc

But this is the official guidance from VM:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-Spam-Content-Found-error-550-554/td-p/3229831

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
davedevelopment
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply Howard, I guess I viewed an older thread regarding the guidelines. Those guidelines look roughly the same and my position on the items is still the same.

0 Kudos
davedevelopment
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just to follow up with more info from our end, having watched the error reports from Amazon's SES service for the last couple of hours, I think we're seeing about 1 email a minute being rejected based on the contents, all of which have been to ntlworld.com, blueyonder.co.uk or virginmedia.com email addresses. During that time, we probably sent around 10,000 emails in total.

This is becoming a significant issue for our customers, so we're going to start showing them a warning when they log in to our platform, stating we can't guarantee their emails will be delivered. We'll ask them to check their spam settings in the webmail and add us to their address book, but other than that we'll have to suggest they use an alternative email account.

0 Kudos
Wrock
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

davedevelopment wrote:

This is becoming a significant issue for our customers, so we're going to start showing them a warning when they log in to our platform, stating we can't guarantee their emails will be delivered. We'll ask them to check their spam settings in the webmail and add us to their address book, but other than that we'll have to suggest they use an alternative email account.

That is an excellent idea.  I'm glad you've been able to implement a warning to let your Virgin Media customers know that they would benefit from using another email account.  Of course, it is not just your emails they are not receiving.  There are other senders with exactly the same problem delivering messages - only to Virgin Media domains.

This case of a high-volume sender has been waiting a month without resolution

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Problems-delivering-to-Virgin-domains/td-p/3222224

Even if Virgin Media solved your issue this week, based on the history of this issue since August 2015, there will be additional senders next week with the same problem, and so the end result is that a Virgin Media email account is not worth much to anyone at the moment since it is likely to be receiving only a portion of the legitimate email which is being sent to it. 

It baffles, dismays, and horrifies me that Virgin Media has not yet recognized the significance of the problem after more than a year of hundreds of reports and has not put in place any self-service diagnostic tools for the many senders who are blocked. 

Thank you for taking the extra step to look after your customers!  If you'd like to post a screenshot of your warning message, I'll add it to the ongoing tally of the outrageous consequences of this problem.

When Virgin Media does resolve the block, would you please remember to come back here and explain how it was resolved in order to help other senders who in the coming weeks will also be reporting similar problems?

-Wrock.

0 Kudos
davedevelopment
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

A further follow up, we've switched to a different transactional email provider and seen a minor improvement, but we're still seeing a lot of bounces.

It's just after 10am here, so in the last 34 hours or so, our platform has sent out just over 100k emails, 145 were bounced back to us with a notification akin to "Spam Content", 142 of those were from virginmedia/ntlword/blueyonder. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi davedevelopment,

Welcome to the forums, I'm sorry to see you have been having trouble with emails being bounced. 

We have been making some changes recently to help to combat this issue. 

We should nearly be complete in these changes. How are things looking for you currently? 

Keep us posted. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

And the changes to ensure delivery are described here:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Spam-Folder-Settings-Change/td-p/3267458

The mail may go into the web mail spam folder but at least it will get through.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
davedevelopment
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sadly no different. I'll check back in a week or so when your changes are scheduled to be completed, hopefully we'll see a difference.

0 Kudos