Menu
Tyfy
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

554 5.2.0 Spam content found

I am investigating an issue sending email on behalf of one of our clients.

At the moment we have about 4000 emails sitting on the mail server that are not being sent to ntlworld and blueyonder email addresses and the only thing in the logs is the 554 5.2.0 Spam content found response from the Virgin Media mail servers.

I have looked at the post here about the steps to check when send email and I can confirm the following

Authentication & Identification

• Use a consistent IP address to send bulk mail.
    • We have about 4 IPs that can be used to send email for the domain and they all exist in the SPF record
  • Keep valid reverse DNS records for the IP address(es) from which you send mail, pointing to your domain.
    • The PTR record is the name of the machine but does not include the domain of the email that the email is being sent from
  • Use the same address in the 'From:' header on every bulk mail you send.
    • It is the same Customer Service email in the FROM field for all emails and there is no REPLY TO
  • Publish an SPF record
    • Done. It was updated as it was invalid but it is correct now. We had problems with sending to btinternet.com emails when it was invalid but that has been resolved with fixing the SPF.
  • Sign with DKIM or DomainKeys
    • We do not do this. We never have and this does not appear to be an issue for any of the other email addresses we are sending to. We will look at implementing it but it is unlikely that this will happen until after Christmas due to customer restrictions on publishing changes to their live system.

Format

• All bulk messages you send must be formatted according to RFC 2822 SMTP standards and, if you are using HTML, w3.org standards too.
    • The formatting is correct as far as I am aware.
  • Messages should indicate that they are bulk mail, using the 'Precedence: bulk' header field.
    • We do not do this. We never have and this does not appear to be an issue for any of the other email addresses we are sending to. We will look at implementing it but it is unlikely that this will happen until after Christmas due to customer restrictions on publishing changes to their live system.
    • We are sending a combination of bulk email (campaigns) as well as order confirmations
  • Attempts to hide the true sender of the message or the true landing page for any web links in the message may result in non-delivery.
    • We do not do this.
  • The subject of each message should be relevant to the body's content and not be misleading.
    • The subject is relevant to the body content

I will supply a copy of the email we are sending via PM as well as the details of the IP that it is being sent from.

I hope someone can reply soon

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: 554 5.2.0 Spam content found

Hi Tyfy, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you involved in the Community. I'd also like to say thanks for taking at look at that thread Smiley Happy

I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Speak soon,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos